CPU Spikes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The_Subject

CPU Spikes

Post by The_Subject » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:44 pm

I know this has been discussed before but I haven't seen any obvious solutions emerging.
The problem began since installing the L11 Trial - but seems to be backward-problematic, as in my previous version which I'd moved to another drive before installing the trial now has the same issue.

Massive CPU spikes. Even with just one track it can leap from say CPU around 8-12% upto 2k or 3k. The CPU meter will sink again almost straight away, but the damage is done, horribly glitchy sound (seemingly irrelevant of whats being played) and even the metronome will come out of sync sometimes.

The only solid tip I've found so far is update my Bios, but seeing as I don't really know how to do that and every guide I've found opens with something along the lines of "don't do it unless you are really confident as you might ruin everything," my alternative is to pay, but it seems a little rich that installing a free trial of a software means I have to pay someone else to avoid risking my computer stopping working...

More to the point, if I'm trialing some very expensive software and it doesn't work, I'm clearly not then going to go out and buy it, am I?