Can I arm all tracks to start recording when MIDI start is received IN SESSION MODE?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digital Larry

Can I arm all tracks to start recording when MIDI start is received IN SESSION MODE?

Post by Digital Larry » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:27 am

Here's what I'm doing. I'm using Live 10 Suite in Session View.

Beatstep Pro is driving some analog synths using the CV/gate outputs and drum triggers.
I have 5 channels of this (a couple of the voices go to mono-in/stereo-out processors and one of the VCOs has a sub bass out that I am recording separately).
I am also recording the MIDI sent from the BSP filtered to channels 1, 2, and 10.

What I'd like to do is arm all 8 of these tracks and have them all start recording AT THE SAME TIME when I press "start" on the BSP. I have the BSP set up to supply Sync and it does work, however even if all of the tracks are armed to record, and I click on the master record button, nothing is recording when I hit the BSP "start". I have to go into each track and click on the little blank dot, and then it does start recording a moment later, but I can't click on them all at once and so the start points for each track are all staggered off each other.

I turned it around and set the BSP to internal sync to start when I press start in Live. I know this must be something really basic but I am missing it.

How do you start recording in such a way that MIDI start/sync is sent at that point and all armed tracks start recording at the same time?

I don't really care if it's being driven by the BSP or Live.

It seems like I can do this in arrangement view.
Last edited by Digital Larry on Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Digital Larry

Re: Can I arm all tracks to start recording when MIDI start is received?

Post by Digital Larry » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:36 am

OK, I sort of got there with the "Session Record" button. I figured it was something obvious that I'd never used before.

I had to click on the record button in each clip then stop it during the count-in. After that they were all ready to go and I actually accomplished what I was after. I'll dig a little deeper on this feature.

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:40 pm

OK, the answer appears to be:
IN SESSION MODE
a) Arm all tracks you wish to record to.
b) Set "Start playback with Record" in preferences (this had been turned off).
c) Make sure "Session Record" is enabled.

Set the Beatstep to sync from USB /MIDI (I'm using USB)

Now, pressing the "Arrangement Record" button will record all armed tracks into clips in the currently selected scene rather than into the arrangement.
Last edited by Digital Larry on Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:36 pm

What a difficult setup you got, but now I understand what you mean....... Good for you you sorted it out!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Digital Larry

Re: Can I arm all tracks to start recording when MIDI start is received IN SESSION MODE?

Post by Digital Larry » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:13 pm

I guess people don't use external equipment so much? I'm sort of surprised if that's true, after all the Beatstep Pro is a current device and there seem to be a lot of people messing around with modular synthesis. Anyway, I found a way to make it work.

:D