Quickly offsetting a group of tracks by "that much"?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digital Larry

Quickly offsetting a group of tracks by "that much"?

Post by Digital Larry » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:40 pm

I have a modular synthesis setup with an external hardware sequencer as described here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=242703

When I record MIDI and/or audio into Ableton Live, there appears to be a fixed latency for everything that as far as I can tell is consistent.

What I've been doing is to record MIDI and audio at the same time. This gives me the option to double or replace any of those recorded tracks using Ableton's built in instruments. As you might imagine, there is some latency there. As far as I can tell it is a constant amount.

I looked at track delay settings, but when I adjust track delay, visually nothing happens. I can't tell whether the adjustment is correct.

Now to be honest, I put together some recordings where I simply ignored this, and it wasn't such a big deal, but that's probably because everything was aligned to the recorded tracks, rather than having some which were created first in Live and then attempted to double those with the external hardware.

I could quantize the MIDI but that would not help the audio.

Ideally I'd be able to go into the clip view for either audio or MIDI and select an event and see what the starting (MIDI) or transient (audio) time was, and then enter that value for the track offsets.

I did just go into the audio clip and it looks like the first audio transient is at 0.0.028 seconds (28 milliseconds). I set "Track Delay" on this track to -28 msec, but nothing changes visually in the clip view. So If I just use track delay, it makes it hard to subsequently trim clips properly on beat boundaries or warp things if needed to beat markers. I guess I can just trim everything to slide it over by this amount.

Is there a better way?

Thanks,

DL

pottering

Re: Quickly offsetting a group of tracks by "that much"?

Post by pottering » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:52 pm

I think you can use the External Instrument's Hardware Latency setting (or even the External Effect) and record from its Input (into another Audio Track).

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -with-Live

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005113200

I think you can also try the "return track and audio track" method in the 2nd link, if you have Intro or Lite.

For the already recorded tracks you need to manually move the start point and loop braces, or use some batch audio editor to remove the first 28 ms of silence from the actual audio file.
♥♥♥

Digital Larry

Re: Quickly offsetting a group of tracks by "that much"?

Post by Digital Larry » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 pm

Thanks,

I will review this info. Realistically I am only talking about 6 tracks max - the three MIDI channels and their respective audio - though sometimes a single MIDI track comes back as several audio. So trimming the front end (or "crust" so to speak) is not such a big deal. I just like to complain about everything.

:D

DL