Deleting Plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
guitar346

Deleting Plugins

Post by guitar346 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:38 am

Over the years, I have downloaded demos for many plugins. Most of these demos are expired. So they show up in Ableton but I can't use them. I'd like to delete all my expired plugins. The problem is I don't know how.

Is there a way to click on a plugin in Ableton's browser and delete all associated components?

Or is there a way to identify from within Ableton where all associated components are?

Thank you.

Mark Williams

Re: Deleting Plugins

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:43 am

no you either have to delete them using your OS uninstall, or manually delete them, when done, then within Ableton, you just rescan plugins/VSTs
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

yur2die4

Re: Deleting Plugins

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:32 am

My directories are arranged exactly for this kind of situation.

Basically, Live lets you link a single folder, but it does allow for ‘shortcuts’ instead of the actual vst file.

So I have one directory with shortcuts to exert plugin that I have. I could use that directly for Live.... but instead I have a folder inside that where I pick and choose which of those shortcut icons I copy and paste into that folder...

And it’ll be named the current version of Live and I guess whatever version of that folder I’m at (so maybe I will have several plugins but have trouble with some, I’ll make a version 2 folder and this one lets me do some trial and error). This folder is the one Live will scan for plugins.

This saves me from worrying about installation paths, or accidentally breaking a plugin by moving a dll etc.