Launch clip without launching entire scene

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DragonBjorn

Launch clip without launching entire scene

Post by DragonBjorn » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 am

Short version:

How can I launch only a single clip without it triggering the rest of the clips in the scene?

Long version:

In session view, when I click the "Clip Launch Button" of a single clip in a track, it launches all the parallel clips in that scene. This is also what happens when you click the launch scene button on the right in the "Master" track. So this seems redundant.

This problem also happens when controlling sessions from Novation Launchkey Mk3. It has pads for starting and stopping individual clips, and a pad for triggering the entire session. But when starting with Ableton in a completely stopped state, starting any clip ends up triggering the entire scene.

Once Ableton is playing, I can actually stop all the individual clips, and Ableton is still technically "playing" even though there are no clips playing. At that point, launching an individual clip does indeed only make that individual clip play. But I'd like to be able to do this when starting with Ableton in a completely stopped state.

Ableton Live 10, Windows

pottering

Re: Launch clip without launching entire scene

Post by pottering » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:31 am

Only thing that comes to my mind is you may have set the wrong script in Preferences, as the Novation stuff has very similar names.
♥♥♥

DragonBjorn

Post by DragonBjorn » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:08 am

pottering wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:31 am
Only thing that comes to my mind is you may have set the wrong script in Preferences, as the Novation stuff has very similar names.
This happens when using my mouse to click the buttons in the Ableton application. So I don't think the controller should have anything to do with it. I only mentioned the controller as an extra piece of info. Maybe I shouldn't have.

Still, I have midi control surface selection set to "Launchkey MK3", not "Launchkey Mini MK3" or "Launchpad" or any of the similar ones. I also didn't even set it myself. This is a fresh install of Ableton Live 10 and it seems to have selected that itself. But again, this should be unrelated because the problem occurs in Ableton's own GUI.

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:05 am

Does it happen in all your Live files? Can you duplicate the problem with a fresh file and just a few tracks?

If it's just one file, I'd suspect it's corrupted.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:07 am

Seems you expect Clips that are playing to stop when you press stop or space.

They don't stop, they only pause (because the main transport is stopped).

As soon as you start a Clip, that starts the main transport too, and all the already triggered Clips start playing again.

To stop all Clips in Session View, you use the Stop All Clips button in the Master Track in Session View (that doesn't stop the main transport).
♥♥♥

DragonBjorn

Post by DragonBjorn » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:55 pm

pottering wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:07 am
Seems you expect Clips that are playing to stop when you press stop or space.

They don't stop, they only pause (because the main transport is stopped).

As soon as you start a Clip, that starts the main transport too, and all the already triggered Clips start playing again.

To stop all Clips in Session View, you use the Stop All Clips button in the Master Track in Session View (that doesn't stop the main transport).
Thanks! That was it. My Live Sets had been saved after listening to everything (all clips in the session played). So the next time I opened the Live Set, the transport was stopped, but all the clips were "playing". So as soon as I started transport, either by hitting the main play button, or by launching any individual clips, all the clips would play.

So cool! Now I know how to prevent all the clips from starting simultaneously when I launch an individual clip.

New question: How can I set a clip to be "playing" without starting the main transport? I can "stop" a clip so that it doesn't play when the transport starts. But if I "play" a clip (by hitting the Clip Launch button), it also starts the main transport. So how can I "queue" up several clips in a session, but not all of them, so that when I finally start the main transport, it will play those specific clips?

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 am

I think there is no way of easily "queuing" without the main transport starting.

May be possible with ClyphX, but I never tried.

When you want to fix events to a specific point in time, you usually use Arrangement View.
♥♥♥