live 11 crashing all the time

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mark Williams

Re: live 11 crashing all the time

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:03 pm

Good chances are its a plugin causing crashes nothing to do with PC/Mac or Ableton.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

zeroblackstar

Post by zeroblackstar » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:48 pm

I also found a u-he plugin to be the issue, the Tyrell synth VSTi.

I had it installed in two places, it was under the VST and the VST3 menu in Ableton, deleting the copy and re-adding to project fixed it for me.

Steps I took to fix:

1. In a new session, disable VSTs in preferences to prevent crashing.
2. Open the problem session, delete all instances of the plugin from any tracks. Saving and re-opening successfully with VSTs enabled will confirm this is the problem plugin.
3. Delete the copy of the plugin, I deleted the copy I had in Program Files\Common Files\VST3.
4. Rescanned my plugins in the preference menu (hold ALT when clicking rescan to force a full scan...not sure if it helps though).
5. Drop the VST kept back onto the track where the old one was.
6. Save and re-open the project....no crash.

I suggest doing this in a copy of your project so you can avoid removing loads of plugins and losing any settings while you hunt down the problem VST.

AnthonyvanGog

Post by AnthonyvanGog » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:11 am

Hi everyone,

Already posted this in another forum, but I still have the problem:

Working on a MacBook Pro 2020 16" 2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 processor, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 memory, and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB graphics.
Operating system: macOS Monterey 12.4

installed live 11.1.5 two days ago, and it's quite annoying.
Live freezes A LOT. Especially when I want to change the audio output. Not even selecting the new output, but just clicking on the list it just freezes. Almost all the time. Also when I want to change the LFO in the Operator to sync, it freezes. Sometimes that works. Mostly not. Sometimes just by clicking on other stuff. It's super irregular and comes unexpectedly. Sometimes Live is stable for an hour, then freezes every 5min.

My Mac says it takes up more than 100% CPU when it freezes.
Live itself doesn't get higher than 6/7CPU.

Already reset Live twice, and re-installed it once. Also installed the Beta versions, but the same problem again and again.
There are no plug-ins on my Macbook. Only stock plug-ins.
Working without a sound card, most of the time. Just using my headphones, but selecting it makes Live freeze constantly.
Buffer size is set at 512
Sample rate 44100

Before I worked with Live 10 Suite and it worked perfectly normal. Did quite heavy stuff with it also. A lot of sample layering and complex sound design. Never had a problem.

Anyone suggestions?
I looked up quite the forums already and followed some steps, but with no luck.
Please help!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:22 am

Some users reported that disabling Grammarly solved the freezing issue.
Ableton Forum Moderator

AnthonyvanGog

Post by AnthonyvanGog » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:52 am

[jur] wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:22 am
Some users reported that disabling Grammarly solved the freezing issue.
it truly was Grammarly.
Everything works totally perfect now. Thank you very much!

Donovan106

Post by Donovan106 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:59 am

this shit makes me sick I just spent $500 on a product that lacks basic functionality. So many hours wasted. Some upgrade lol

samsmyers

Post by samsmyers » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:54 am

jimwilson2 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:54 am
jimwilson2 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:28 am
I'm having this same problem as well. It seems any action can cause a crash. There's a glimpse of a red screen as the ableton screen slides off the desktop when it crashes. I've tried updating all the plugins and disabling the AU/VST/VST3 versions of each plugin but I'm still getting crashes. I haven't isolated each and every plugin yet as it's pretty time consuming.

Support seemed to think the fabfilter plugs were causing the issue. I contacted fabfilter and they've not heard of the issue happening at all. Really hoping someone figures it out.

Using a 2015 mbp running Big sur
Apogee duet 2 soundcard
Live 11
Letting you know I managed to fix this issue by disabling my VST3 plugin folder and changing all instances of VST3 plugins to VST2 or AU versions. Live 11 is running stable now.

Seems like there was a troublesome plugin in my VST3 folder which I haven't managed to identify yet.

Hope you guys all manage to sort out your Live issues.
So after a few years, has this solution still been working for you? I am having the same issue, where I get the spinning wheel, screen turns red, and then I have to force shut down my computer because everything has freezed. This only happens in Ableton Live 11, but not in Ableton Live 10.

I contacted Ableton support and they told me to only use VST3 (I have always previously preferred AU)

spiritofeden

Post by spiritofeden » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:13 pm

I get frequent crashes related to VST3. In particular, it seems to always happen on projects where I have one or more instances of Scuffham S-Gear. I've seen it crash when:
- Loading another VST3 (either another instance of S-Gear or an unrelated plugin)
- Swapping a VST3 preset
- Saving project as a template
- Reopening a crashed project/template (it will sometimes crash right back)

The crashes are frequent but not completely predictable. I've reported this to Scuffham but they couldn't reproduce it. I've also sent many crash reports to Ableton.

I know one solution is to switch to AU or VST2, but I already have many VST3 presets and also many plugins only report their parameters correctly as VST3.

It would help if the crash logs were actually able to pinpoint the crashing plugin.