Live11 MIDI latency unusable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AndyMusic

Live11 MIDI latency unusable

Post by AndyMusic » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:55 am

I've been using Ableton Live since the early days of Live 8, upgrading to the latest Suite with every major release. It is only with Live 11 that now I cannot overdub with my .vst/.au instruments because the latency is horrible. Just on input, even without running in PLAY or RECORD, the delay is noticeable like never before.

The ONLY way I have been able to get LIVE 11 to let me play my software instruments with any playable response time is to turn off Delay Compensation completely. I can then play and overdub with an existing track. But if I need the (ableton live) click (e.g., because it's a slow track), I can't use it because the (ableton) click and the track will not be in sync when Delay Compensation is off.

I am trying to overdub in the Arrangement view. There are a couple of audio tracks (guitar and bass) and I'm trying to add software instrument parts to the arrangement now. I turned off the reverb and IR plugins in the Return tracks. I'm As you will see from my equipment/software list, I have relatively late-model, high-end gear.

I'm losing out on some composing opportunities because all my time is spent on trying to figure out if there's something I could be doing. But like I said, I never had these issues with Live 10 or even before that.

Is is Live 11 that is bogging down or is there something I need to do differently? I hope someone can help because I'm seriously considering going back to Live 10 or abandoning Ableton Live completely so I can actually get something done!

Running at:
48KHz
256 Samples
input latency at 5.96 ms
output latency at 6.12 ms

on:
iMac Pro 09/2018
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
3-GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5 GHz
64GB 266MHz DDR4 ECC memory
2 TB SSD
Radeon Pro Vega 64 w/ 16GB of HBM2 memory

Audio Interface
RME UFX+

pottering

Re: Live11 MIDI latency unusable

Post by pottering » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 pm

If it works fine with Delay Compensation off, then it is shows it is a plugin adding latency, not Live or audio interface or computer.

Turning off plugins only mutes its output, you have to remove them from the Set to remove their latency.
♥♥♥

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:08 pm

pottering wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 pm
If it works fine with Delay Compensation off, then it is shows it is a plugin adding latency, not Live or audio interface or computer.

Turning off plugins only mutes its output, you have to remove them from the Set to remove their latency.
^ this

With delay compensation ON, when you hover over the name of a plugin, it will report the latency in the bottom left and you can identify the culprit.

Multi purpose magic mixing processors, peak limiters, multi band compressors, de-noisers / de-clippers are common culprits.

AndyMusic

Post by AndyMusic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:46 am

Oratowsky and Pottering -- Thanks for your help!

I removed plugins (that were off) but still in the Return and Master tracks and now the delay is gone!! I guess I can use some simple, built-in reverb while tracking, and then switch over to more robust / 3rd-party plug-ins, as needed, when I get into mix mode. Would be nice to be able to overdub with more effects and some Master Bus compression (like I used to do on "past Live(s)") but at least I can move forward now.

You guys are life-savers! THANK YOU!

cids

Post by cids » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:47 pm

Do you have the same issue with VST2 and VST3, you could try and test VST3 instead...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2