Setting a Recording folder?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buckman

Setting a Recording folder?

Post by buckman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:34 am

Can I ask where resampling audio and general recordings go, once I record them?

Is this all set up in the Preferences > Temporary Folder for any recordings or indeed resampling in the timeline (recordings?)

I just wanted to make sure as I always record into an editor instead of the Ableton timeline itself so I can cut and crop loops perfectly.
Also I have a very small internal SSD drive which is just for Mac OS and programs which I want to bypass for any audio recording, as it will fill up straight away.

So to check, is Preferences > Temporary Folder, where you set say my external 3TB drive whereby all audio/renders/recordings/resamples 'live' so my small internal SSD is untouched? :)

Chancery

Re: Setting a Recording folder?

Post by Chancery » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:20 am

Yes, your assumptions are correct.

From the manual:

17.8 Where are the Recorded Samples?
Recorded samples are stored with the current Set’s Project folder, under Samples/Recorded.
Until the Set is saved, it remains at the location specified by the Temporary Folder preference
which is found in the Preferences’ File/Folder tab. To make sure Live will not run out of disk space
while recording into a new Set, please make sure the Temporary Folder is on a drive/partition
with sufficient free space.

buckman

Post by buckman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:33 am

Thank you.

So I guess if I don’t save or name my Ableton project and just mess around with some ideas and close the program, that the audio recorded in the Temporary folder just gets deleted on exit closing Ableton?

So I know that ideas I have scrapped will at least delete the audio so it’s not taking up space on any drive that I set the temporary folder

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:04 am

If you record stuff and then close without saving, Live will ask you what you want to do with the audio. Delete is one of the options.