Attempting to map and randomise samples to single midi control

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
improv00

Attempting to map and randomise samples to single midi control

Post by improv00 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 pm

I am running Live 11 Suite on a MacBook Air using OS Catalina 10:15:4

I am trying to map multiple samples in a drum rack to a single midi control gesture (am using a Genki Wave Ring) so that when I tap my finger once it sets off a different randomized sample. I have been trying to set this up by nesting a drum rack loaded with the samples I'm using into another empty drum rack.

This is not working. I am sure I am missing something despite looking at youtube videos and finding older threads here

I am unable to find a single control within Ableton to map my midi controller to

Pitch values of the samples are not a consideration for this.

Apologies in advance for omitting any fundamental or obvious information

siliconarc

Re: Attempting to map and randomise samples to single midi control

Post by siliconarc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Simplest way: If the Wave Ring is able to send a midi note when you tap on a surface, you can use it as a regular midi controller.
Use a Drum Rack filled with samples and add the MIDI Effects>Random device in front of it to play up to 48 randomly chosen notes (Chance: 100%, Choices: 24, Sign: Bi).

improv00

Post by improv00 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:23 pm

Thanks for reply!

I have this set up you've advised. However I am unable to find a single control within Ableton to use as a trigger.

Sounds stupid but when I hit the midi map button in the upper right corner there's no play button or appropriate button that gets 'blued' that I can see tht I am able to map to the Wave Ring.

I must be missing the obvious..

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:26 pm

you don't need to map anything - just set the ring up to send notes when tapping (the promo video says it's possible but i've not used one).
it may need a setting in the ring's software app, or maybe it's a mode you can enable from the ring itself?

improv00

Post by improv00 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:32 pm

The video you're talking about is a little misleading. In the Wave Ring app one has to assign a cc number to the operation (in this instance 'tap'). Then the tap becomes a midi note that still has to manually assigned to midi in live in the usual fashion.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:43 pm

So it doesn’t actually send a midi note in Tap mode?

improv00

Post by improv00 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:22 am

it does, it just has to be mapped in manually and there doesn't seem to be a singular trigger in Ableton that will set off the randomised samples.

If we take the Wave Ring out of the question..so just say you had a midi controller like a Korg Nano Control or some generic push button midi device, what would you map it to in Ableton in your example of the drum kit with the midi random effect placed in front of it?

ApexAnima

Post by ApexAnima » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:49 pm

Hi Improv00, were you ever able to find a solution? I am trying to map individual sounds within the drum rack to the Genki ring tap function, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to map the sample triggers... Thanks

improv00

Post by improv00 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:28 am

I did figure it out but there is still one missing link (I made it work by accident and since then have cut and pasted the template into new sessions because I am unable to successfully rebuild it from scratch).
But yes I can map a genki wavering gesture (a tap) to randomly trigger one sample from a full drum kit bank of samples. Is that what you are trying to do or are you trying to do something else?