Linking multiple notes to have the same chance in Live 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrblackbat

Linking multiple notes to have the same chance in Live 11

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 am

With the new feature in Live 11 to add a chance for each note, is there anyway to link notes together so that they all play or don't play with the same chance?

At the moment I'm using the feature on some drum parts, and setting ghost notes/flams etc with having a less than 100% chance to give the pattern a bit more feel and life. However, with the flams, these are made up of multiple notes, so I would want all or none of them to play.

Is this possible?

slow.robot

Re: Linking multiple notes to have the same chance in Live 11

Post by slow.robot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:35 am

open the clip, and select all the notes you want to edit, then in the probability editor pane, drag down the probability for all the selected notes. I think the caveat is they all have to reside within the same clip.

mrblackbat

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:48 am

Does that definitely tie the notes together? E.g. if I have four notes all at 50% chance, will they all play or none play 50% of the time? I thought that they each individually would play 50% of the time by doing that?

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:04 pm

sorry, I misunderstood—that’s what I get for responding before having my coffee. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m not sure if what you’re looking for is possible in Live’s MIDI probability options. it might be possible with some of the MIDI effects, though.

mrblackbat

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:03 pm

Ah no worries, I probably didn't make myself clear. Might try logging it as a feature request in that case, would be a pretty cool feature.