Routing external effects with a Scarlett 18i8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrblackbat

Routing external effects with a Scarlett 18i8

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:05 pm

I recently switched to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 to replace my old edirol ua1000 which doesn't work with Catalina. Everything works fine with the exception of trying to work out exactly how to set up the routing for my FMR RNC using external effects.

I use the RNC on the master bus, so I have created an external effect on the master bus, set the output to channels 3&4 (1&2 are my 'main') and connected those outputs to the left and right inputs on the RNC. The outputs from the RNC go to 7&8, so on the external effect I have audio from 7&8.

However, I get nothing back from the device unless I set the routing in the Focusrite software for analogue 3&4 to DAW playback 3&4 - and at 0dB gain on the external in/out this has a noticeable drop off in volume, making me wonder if I'm getting some phase issues or something? I don't recall having any of these issues with the UA1000.

Is this setup right? The only other thing I can think of is whether it's because the RNC has unbalanced input/outputs?

pwacher

Re: Routing external effects with a Scarlett 18i8

Post by pwacher » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:08 pm

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? While I'm using a UA Apollo interface, conceptually I'm running into similar routing issues.

I've recently started playing around with some external effects and the routing in and out via External Audio Effects plugin is kinda doing my head in.