Can NOT Figure this Out: External Gear Recording Into Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eroxx

Can NOT Figure this Out: External Gear Recording Into Ableton

Post by eroxx » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 pm

Dear all,

I have been at this for 6+ hours and can not figure it out ... I am really hoping someone can help! :)

I have a Yamaha MG16 mixer and a Focusrite 18i8 audio interface.

I have a bunch of external synths that I want to be able to play and record into ableton ... At this point, I am not concerned with midi, I simply want to record the audio from playing these synths.

The way I have it set up right now is this: My Mixer Group 1 & 2 go into inputs on my audio interface. My audio interface main outputs go into its own channel input on mixer. I have Group 1 and 2 going ONLY to the audio interface, and not to mixer main outputs. I have the computer input on my mixer going to main output. IOW, ONly sounds routed to computer go out to main outputs.

The problem is that in ableton, when I try and record a sound, I hear the sound play twice. At first I thought it was a patch I was choosing, it's the very slightest delay, but it's most definitely there. If I change the output routing in ableton, I can hear it "normally," but then it doesn't record ...

I've also played some with the Focusrite settings and not sure what I should do with that, if anything?

Thank you!!!
Last edited by eroxx on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chancery

Re: Can NOT Figure this Out: External Gear Recording Into Ableton

Post by Chancery » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:16 am

Hi, it's hard to figure out what you're doing, since you keep referring to both the mixer and interface as "mixer".
Could you please rephrase it so we can understand it better and help you?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:19 am

In focusrite mixcontrol software, mute those inputs.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

eroxx

Post by eroxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Surely - yikes, reading it again I was even confused! Fixed:

I have been at this for 6+ hours and can not figure it out ... I am really hoping someone can help! :)

I have a Yamaha MG16 mixer and a Focusrite 18i8 audio interface.

I have a bunch of external synths that I want to be able to play and record into ableton ... At this point, I am not concerned with midi, I simply want to record the audio from playing these synths.

The way I have it set up right now is this: My Mixer Group 1 & 2 go into inputs on my audio interface. My audio interface main outputs go into its own channel input on mixer. I have Group 1 and 2 going ONLY to the audio interface, and not to mixer main outputs. I have the computer input on my mixer going to main output. IOW, ONly sounds routed to computer go out to main outputs.

The problem is that in ableton, when I try and record a sound, I hear the sound play twice. At first I thought it was a patch I was choosing, it's the very slightest delay, but it's most definitely there. If I change the output routing in ableton, I can hear it "normally," but then it doesn't record ...

I've also played some with the Focusrite settings and not sure what I should do with that, if anything?
Last edited by eroxx on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eroxx

Post by eroxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:19 am
I’ll try that, but so I can learn and understand, can you explain what that “does”? Thanks!!

eroxx

Post by eroxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:19 am
I edited it below. Thanks!!

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 pm

At first glance your routing seems fine.
Did Mark's suggestion work?
I'm not familiar with Focusrite interfaces, but looking at pics I can't see any direct monitoring knob. Have you got that option via software? If you do, set it fully clockwise. Seems like you're hearing the direct signal + Live's output with its latency.
If you listen on headphones from mixer and interface, do you hear any difference?
Also, when you say you change Live's output, what do you do exactly?
Have you tried setting the recording track monitor in Live to Off?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Mixcontrol has a mute button which you need to activate to stop hearing the duplicated input sounds.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

eroxx

Post by eroxx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:13 pm

I got it working!

I moved the mixer outputs going into audio interface to the analogue 3 and 4, and I have those muted in the mix control for focus rite. Thanks everyone!!!