Recording in arrange view (Solved)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Samiver

Recording in arrange view (Solved)

Post by Samiver » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:19 am

Hi I am fairly new to live having moved from another daw and have an issue when recording in arrange view where in if I arm a specific track and record it records everything into the arranger (eg drum tracks etc) when I only want to record the synth etc I am playing with my controller. I have looked at the manual but cannot get my head round why it does this and maybe someone can help?

I have no problem recording individual clips in session view.

I am probably missing something obvious but any help appreciated
Last edited by Samiver on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

slow.robot

Re: Recording in arrange view

Post by slow.robot » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:30 am

if I'm understanding correctly, you've only got one track armed, but when you hit record, they all record...I'm new to Live too, but that sounds like a bug worth reporting.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:34 am

or are you sure you don't just need to click the return to arrangement button? I think if that's not clicked, it records everything it hears from session view.

Samiver

Post by Samiver » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:37 am

Hi Slow Robot yes that is correct however it does not record midi i input on the other tracks but records the midi from all other clips playing in session view as audio (eg if I have drum rack playing in session view it records the audio onto the drum rack lane). I still think I am probably doing something wrong just cannot figure out what.

I am trying to get it to just record the midi or automation I am inputting on my keyboard onto the one track I armed and not record the audio from all other tracks into their arrangement lanes as I do so.

Samiver

Post by Samiver » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:39 am

slow.robot wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:34 am
or are you sure you don't just need to click the return to arrangement button? I think if that's not clicked, it records everything it hears from session view.
Hi is that the button at the top that stops all the session view clips running on arrangement page (think it looks like a grey play button)

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 am

Samiver wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:39 am
slow.robot wrote:
Hi is that the button at the top that stops all the session view clips running on arrangement page (think it looks like a grey play button)
yes, I believe so (somewhere toward the upper right, I think).

Samiver

Post by Samiver » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 am

slow.robot wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 am
Samiver wrote:
slow.robot wrote:
Just tried this and it worked. Turned off all the session clips playing in arrangement view and it just recorded my midi.
Thank you so much this was the only thing bugging me with live and couldn't figure it out as only had the track I was working on armed so assumed it should have just been recording that channel. Now I can record automation etc without having to delete tons of audio from other tracks.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:15 pm

Samiver wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 am
slow.robot wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 am
Samiver wrote:

Just tried this and it worked. Turned off all the session clips playing in arrangement view and it just recorded my midi.
Thank you so much this was the only thing bugging me with live and couldn't figure it out as only had the track I was working on armed so assumed it should have just been recording that channel. Now I can record automation etc without having to delete tons of audio from other tracks.
awesome, glad I was able to help! :) Live is amazing, especially when you start to get a handle on some of its quirks (like this one).