(SOLVED) Screen flicker fix no longer working in L11.0.2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
josefreak

(SOLVED) Screen flicker fix no longer working in L11.0.2

Post by josefreak » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:08 am

A while back, I found a fix that would stop the screen flickering on a Windows machine with a high refresh rate monitor (mine is 144Hz). The fix was this:

Open: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live [current Live version]\Preferences\ and create a file called options.txt and add this line:

-_ForceGdiBackend

I just bought a new computer and installed a fresh version of Live (11.0.2). I noticed the flickering again, so I completed the steps above and my screen still flickers. Does anyone have a fix for this? This is the only program I have with this problem. I wish Ableton would do something about it because it really bothers my eyes while working.
Last edited by josefreak on Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

josefreak

Re: Screen flicker fix no longer working in L11.0.2

Post by josefreak » Tue May 04, 2021 10:32 pm

I was kind of hoping to avoid contacting support, but I guess I'm the only one that has this issue. Weird

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Screen flicker fix no longer working in L11.0.2

Post by [jur] » Sat May 08, 2021 11:32 pm

josefreak wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:32 pm
I was kind of hoping to avoid contacting support, but I guess I'm the only one that has this issue. Weird
It's the way to go since no one here is offering solutions/infos, apparently. :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

josefreak

Re: (SOLVED) Screen flicker fix no longer working in L11.0.2

Post by josefreak » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:13 am

The root of the problem is based on having an nVidia G-Sync monitor (I have a 144Hz). I don't know why Live flickers when it's enabled, because none of my other apps have this problem. Anyhow, for anyone experiencing this problem (and you have a G-Sync monitor), the fix is:

1. Open the nVidia control panel
2. Select "Adjust Image Settings with Preview"
3. Select "Use the advanced 3D settings"
4. Back in the left column, select the "Manage 3D Settings"
5. On the page, select the "Program Settings" tab
6. Click "Add" and navigate to the Ableton Live executable that you're using (if you don't see it in the list, select "Browse" and find it using the file explorer)
7. Now that you have Live selected, you can change the advanced 3D settings specifically for the app. Change the setting "Monitor Technology" to "Fixed Refresh"

This is what fixed the annoying flicker for me

DomasG

Post by DomasG » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Hello,

I have the same issue with nVidia G-Sync. I will try your fix, and hope it will help me as well :)

Thank you!

klloyd85

Post by klloyd85 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:58 pm

josefreak wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:13 am
The root of the problem is based on having an nVidia G-Sync monitor (I have a 144Hz). I don't know why Live flickers when it's enabled, because none of my other apps have this problem. Anyhow, for anyone experiencing this problem (and you have a G-Sync monitor), the fix is:

6. Click "Add" and navigate to the Ableton Live executable that you're using (if you don't see it in the list, select "Browse" and find it using the file explorer)
7. Now that you have Live selected, you can change the advanced 3D settings specifically for the app. Change the setting "Monitor Technology" to "Fixed Refresh"

This solution is not working for me. I'm using Ableton 10 on a Dell s34dwg monitor with FreeSync (g-sync compatible and I have an nVidia GPU).

I also tried setting the vertical sync to off, high, and adaptive. None of them fixed the flickering issue.

basickarl

Post by basickarl » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:05 pm

josefreak wrote:

Thank you, this fixed it for me!

josefreak

Post by josefreak » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:09 am

klloyd85 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:58 pm
josefreak wrote:

This solution is not working for me. I'm using Ableton 10 on a Dell s34dwg monitor with FreeSync (g-sync compatible and I have an nVidia GPU).

I also tried setting the vertical sync to off, high, and adaptive. None of them fixed the flickering issue.
Keep turning things off for Live in the nVidia control panel. For the most part, you don't really need anything enabled for Live.