Stop gaslighting and fix your cpu issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nate Holt

Re: Stop gaslighting and fix your cpu issues

Post by Nate Holt » Mon May 03, 2021 1:20 am

I've sent specs to places where something can actually be done, or where I would hope something could be done. This was a rant, plain and simple, after trying to open M4L devices that used to run fine on version 10, on a less capable machine and once again killing a workflow. Poly Vocoder to be specific. It's not just the CPU meter - I get that it's new and how it works. I wouldn't be concerned if all this was because of how that meter looked. Opening certain plugins, play stop and start, all see huge spikes - that cause dropouts and sluggish audio - where that did not happen on, again, the previous version (that won't open the current version's projects), and on a less capable computer. The gist of some of these replies are still mentioning people who don't know what they're doing, not taking time to understand RTFM stuff - I get those people are out there in huge numbers. When I see people some of who are earning their livings at this and posting specs of machines that far outpace mine (3.2ghz 6-core i7, 32gb ram, 512ssd ~40% full), Mac or PC, having the same kind of problems, I guess that's just some weird coincidence that doesn't reflect back on the software in some way. Good to know.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon May 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Hey Nate, since you mentioned M4L:
there's an issue (that's fixed now in the latest L11.0.5b2) that can definitely kill your CPU.
To check if this is your problem: click the edit button on any of the M4L device in your set, and once Max is open go to Debug menu and make sure that the "Event probe" option is tunred off. If it's on this might be the source of your problems.
Let us know if it helps.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Nate Holt

Post by Nate Holt » Wed May 05, 2021 12:03 am

Hello, thank you for the response and advice but that didn't fix the problems - that option was not turned on. All I can do is wait and hope for something to come out of my support request. First time since I purchased Live, 6+ years or so ago that I've experienced these kinds of problems.

Unit1248

Post by Unit1248 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:46 am

NGL I'm using a pretty good desktop pc. frozen tracks into sends in 11 right now is keeping me with a steady 80% cpu usage.

It's manageable while making a song, but once it develops and I get into the mix stage it becomes hard to work with.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 am

Unit1248 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:46 am
NGL I'm using a pretty good desktop pc. frozen tracks into sends in 11 right now is keeping me with a steady 80% cpu usage.

It's manageable while making a song, but once it develops and I get into the mix stage it becomes hard to work with.
Hey you have the exact same specs as me, pretty good, not great but pretty good. Hope to upgrade to frigging awesome one day but it's quite a leap.

Flatten tracks for mix stage, it's the usual thing to do.

Unit1248

Post by Unit1248 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:31 am

jestermgee wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 am
Unit1248 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:46 am

Hey you have the exact same specs as me, pretty good, not great but pretty good. Hope to upgrade to frigging awesome one day but it's quite a leap.

Flatten tracks for mix stage, it's the usual thing to do.
Woah take it easy cool guy. no reason to be butthurt. They're stems with an eq, compressor, and frozen...the same setup would be fine in 10. maybe try getting over yourself.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed May 05, 2021 5:17 am

Good advice

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Thu May 06, 2021 3:36 pm

is this meant to demonstrate something? if you cross reference search for “CPU” in any DAW forum, of course the biggest result is going to be people talking about difficulties with CPU usage. I just did it in the Reason Reddit forum, and no surprise—same result.

Nate Holt

Post by Nate Holt » Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm

Congratulations. You're superior and us plebs with these issues are inferior. Feel better now? Go ahead and keep making music while experiencing no issues and/or ignore this thread if acknowledging there are major problems with Ableton Live 11 that long-time users have not experienced in the past isn't your thing. K, thx.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 pm

Nate Holt wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm
Congratulations. You're superior and us plebs with these issues are inferior. Feel better now? Go ahead and keep making music while experiencing no issues and/or ignore this thread if acknowledging there are major problems with Ableton Live 11 that long-time users have not experienced in the past isn't your thing. K, thx.
you’re right about one thing—there’s definitely some gaslighting here, and we’ve identified the source. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:15 pm

I've got a mac mini m1 running rosetta and I'll say that with one midi track my percentage is at 24% which seems really absurd. I had 8 midi tracks and one audio with minimal effects and I'm at 70%

I think that is a bit crazy. Really high

Nate Holt

Post by Nate Holt » Thu May 06, 2021 7:08 pm

[/quote]
slow.robot wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 pm

you’re right about one thing—there’s definitely some gaslighting here, and we’ve identified the source. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Bot, you're obviously good so this thread isn't applicable to you. Go shrug somewhere else or, better yet, make music uninterrupted by issues you've made it clear you don't have. Bye.
Last edited by Nate Holt on Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Let's play nice please so we don't have to close the thread.
Ableton Forum Administrator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri May 07, 2021 11:45 am

Dallon426 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:15 pm
I've got a mac mini m1 running rosetta and I'll say that with one midi track my percentage is at 24% which seems really absurd. I had 8 midi tracks and one audio with minimal effects and I'm at 70%

I think that is a bit crazy. Really high
Apple Silicon chips anre't supported yet, so nothing "wrong" here, you're just too much into the future atm.
Ableton Forum Moderator