Distortion when Musescore 3 is playing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dick333

Distortion when Musescore 3 is playing

Post by dick333 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:50 pm

I want to use Live 10 Lite to play my midi keyboard while playing Backing Tracks in Musescore 3, watching the Notation Chords etc. When I get both apps to play together by Unticking "Allow Exclusive Access" in Windows 10 Sounds etc. the distortion of the sound in one or other of the apps is awful.
I have tried Voicemeeter Bananna but got serious distortion.
How can I get good sound quality from both apps at the same time? If it is relevant I do not need Mike or Instrument input so an audio interface is not necessary. Would a low cost external soundcard solve my problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.

jestermgee

Re: Distortion when Musescore 3 is playing

Post by jestermgee » Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 pm

dick333 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:50 pm
If it is relevant I do not need Mike or Instrument input so an audio interface is not necessary. Would a low cost external soundcard solve my problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.
An audio interface offers more than just inputs and connectivity. The inbuilt audio device in most systems is ok for playing sound from videos or games but lacks the refined performance to allow it to handle on-the-fly audio streams reliably especially when being used in "shared" mode. Using a cheap USB audio device that is not an ASIO compatible device will not help.... probably make things worse if anything.

But for your case, first thing to check would be what sample rate you have Live set to and what sample rate you have your windows sound settings set to as well as any other applications you want to use at the same time. You need all the sound settings in all applications and windows itself to match for a starter.

Keep in mind that if you are using shared mode you will likely have quite a delay when you try and play your keyboard and this would make it difficult to follow along. Additionally if you try record or playback a sequence in live you may also have very glitchy playback. Solution is a good ASIO compatible audio interface.