Reverb in headphone mix only

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MDvocals

Reverb in headphone mix only

Post by MDvocals » Tue May 04, 2021 6:03 pm

Hi there
I am pretty new to Ableton live so bear with me !
I want to add reverb only to the headphone mix for vocals but record a dry track.
I can't seem to find a simple explanation for this anywhere and I am getting all the routing wrong.

I am just recording vocals and nothing else.
I would be grateful for any help !
Thanks

hunterwiley

Re: Reverb in headphone mix only

Post by hunterwiley » Tue May 04, 2021 7:12 pm

Hey friend, I'm not sure I totally understand your question -- What doesn't work if you just record an audio track with or without reverb Send (send A by default)? Then once the recording is done you can turn up or down the reverb amount. Essentially a recording with fx added to the chain is still "dry" if you remove the send/effect.

What's the intended objective for you doing this? You can route playback to different channels, depending on your audio interface (and the amount of in/outs it has to route playback to)

You could likely route the reverb Return channel to playback whichever channel the headphones are on instead of going to master. It's a little hacky, but Idk that I totally understand what you are going for!

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 pm

Just record dry anyway, then add FX later.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 pm

I use a Lexicon MPX1, digitally patched in the routing of my Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen. In the routing software I can add and adjust the amount of reverb. Latency free, and only in the monitor path........ Will set you back aprox. 800 dollar though!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

MDvocals

Post by MDvocals » Tue May 04, 2021 10:26 pm

hunterwiley wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:12 pm
Hey friend, I'm not sure I totally understand your question -- What doesn't work if you just record an audio track with or without reverb Send (send A by default)? Then once the recording is done you can turn up or down the reverb amount. Essentially a recording with fx added to the chain is still "dry" if you remove the send/effect.

What's the intended objective for you doing this? You can route playback to different channels, depending on your audio interface (and the amount of in/outs it has to route playback to)

You could likely route the reverb Return channel to playback whichever channel the headphones are on instead of going to master. It's a little hacky, but Idk that I totally understand what you are going for!
Hey thanks for this.
It is so I can create a nice headphone mix while recording my vocals.
I like to add a little reverb effect while singing which helps me perform better and not push etc.
I have found this a really common practice when recording with producers/sound engineers. They have set it up for me in other DAWs but I can't seem to find any information for doing it in Ableton.
I want to use it as a performance tool rather than an after effect if you get what I mean?

I have tried routing it but it is recording onto the track so I am obviously doing something wrong! Any chance you could describe in more detail what you described in your last sentence? Thanks so much. :) You could likely route the reverb Return channel to playback whichever channel the headphones

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed May 05, 2021 1:13 am

Just add a Reverb/Hybrid Reverb/any 3rd party reverb vst onto the track you're recording. You'll hear it, but only your dry voice will be recorded since you're using your mic as your track input. The Fx are "post-audio/clip".
The signal chain is:
mic into your audio track input > this goes through the FXs chain (put your reverb here) > it then goes to the track's mixer ( the track volume fader and pan knob) > this is usually sent to the Master.
Ableton Forum Moderator

MDvocals

Post by MDvocals » Wed May 05, 2021 10:24 am

[jur] wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:13 am
Just add a Reverb/Hybrid Reverb/any 3rd party reverb vst onto the track you're recording. You'll hear it, but only your dry voice will be recorded since you're using your mic as your track input. The Fx are "post-audio/clip".
The signal chain is:
mic into your audio track input > this goes through the FXs chain (put your reverb here) > it then goes to the track's mixer ( the track volume fader and pan knob) > this is usually sent to the Master.
Ah ! I thought I had to route it through a return. This is way more straight forward than I thought. Thank you. :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed May 05, 2021 10:55 am

You can put the reverb on a return, but that's not mandatory. It's also perfectly fine on your audio track.
Ableton Forum Moderator