Ableton 11 but still no fix for sustain pedal causing hanging notes on stop.

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
WilmarBoer

Ableton 11 but still no fix for sustain pedal causing hanging notes on stop.

Post by WilmarBoer » Thu May 06, 2021 4:56 pm

One thing I really hoped for in Ableton 11 is that finally (like every other DAW) Ableton would sent out CC64-0 as soon as stop is hit so that you won't have hanging notes anymore if you stop playback between sustain pedal value changes in the timeline. Logic's chase controller function is one of the best implementations. But just send out CC120 (all sound off) at stop would make my day! PLEASE! Or add a "All sound off on stop" line in the MIDI preferences tab. It can't be that hard.

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/sndoff.htm
----
Making music is my hobby
Corporate photography is my passion: https://www.beeldvoerders.nl/bedrijfsfotografie

cids

Re: Ableton 11 but still no fix for sustain pedal causing hanging notes on stop.

Post by cids » Fri May 07, 2021 3:38 pm

+1
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

aklisiewicz

Re: Ableton 11 but still no fix for sustain pedal causing hanging notes on stop.

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon May 10, 2021 3:27 am

I have the same problem, although it does not happen often. Once this starts happening I have to close the program completely or sometimes even reboot. I replaced my sustain pedal twice so whatever happens is not related to hardware anymore (or at least very, very unlikely). I also noticed some very wired behavior when tracks are grouped and sub-grouped. There are all kinds of different issues with track volume and sustained sounds. Sometimes I have a track playing some wired sound while there are no midi notes to play.
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 pm

I thought pressing stop twice does MIDI panic. (But I could be wrong. Thought I heard that a few years back though, but I don't tend to get stuck notes)

WilmarBoer

Post by WilmarBoer » Fri May 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Piplodocus wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 pm
I thought pressing stop twice does MIDI panic. (But I could be wrong. Thought I heard that a few years back though, but I don't tend to get stuck notes)
And takes you back to bar 0. That's not what you want.
----
Making music is my hobby
Corporate photography is my passion: https://www.beeldvoerders.nl/bedrijfsfotografie

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 pm

I am pretty sure this is by design and not a "bug"

Because Live is, well originally designed for live use, it makes sense to have sustained notes carry on if you happen to press stop in a performance so as not to just abruptly stop. As mentioned, double press on the stop sends the note-off command and should kill any sustained notes but yes, it sends transport to start so this is where you have an understanding of how things work and prepare for this if you are producing and use a marker to quickly jump back to the point you are editing.

An option would be great to be able to have Live "auto sustain after stop" but in 10 years I have never had Live uncontrollably sustain where I couldn't kill the sound unless it was a hiccup in a plugin and usually just disable/re-enable the plugin on the channel fixes that. normally if I get a sustain when in a clip or arrangement when O press stop I place my mouse where the play head is currently, double hit stop on my MCU then click the location to reset play head.

WilmarBoer

Post by WilmarBoer » Mon May 17, 2021 7:44 am

jestermgee wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 pm
I am pretty sure this is by design and not a "bug"

Because Live is, well originally designed for live use, it makes sense to have sustained notes carry on if you happen to press stop in a performance so as not to just abruptly stop. As mentioned, double press on the stop sends the note-off command and should kill any sustained notes but yes, it sends transport to start so this is where you have an understanding of how things work and prepare for this if you are producing and use a marker to quickly jump back to the point you are editing.

An option would be great to be able to have Live "auto sustain after stop" but in 10 years I have never had Live uncontrollably sustain where I couldn't kill the sound unless it was a hiccup in a plugin and usually just disable/re-enable the plugin on the channel fixes that. normally if I get a sustain when in a clip or arrangement when O press stop I place my mouse where the play head is currently, double hit stop on my MCU then click the location to reset play head.
That's what I do at the moment too. It would be nice to have preferences option "Spacebar behaviour" to tweak this according to the environment you're working.

Like in the attached quick photoshop ...

----
Making music is my hobby

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Wed May 19, 2021 4:13 am

I just opened one of the older projects and while playing get stuck notes. It makes no difference if I play keyboard or I just play a midi clip. Same effect. Hitting STOP button with the mouse usually does the trick to stop it but not always and it is super frustrating !

After some testing I noticed that something gets recorded into the clip. I created a new track, applied same VST, then copied only notes from the bad track into the new one and the problem disappeared. I did it several times on multiple projects so this is kinda workaround but,... come on who is going to do this every time the problem arise.. (?)

ABLETON really needs to address this problem. I deal with this issue since LIVE v5 :-(
Sadarahu

JeffMcClintock

Post by JeffMcClintock » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:33 am

Piplodocus wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 pm
Pressing stop twice sends MIDI Controller 123 (All-Notes-Off).

Note that the MIDI Spec mandates that the sustain pedal overrides All-Notes-Off. So this does not solve the problem. Ableton should either reset the sustain CC, like Reaper and Cubase, or send All-Sound-Off (CC 120) which does override the sustain pedal (CC 64).

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:07 pm

THIS PROBLEM REALLY DRIVES ME NUTS. I thought it was only me but now I see many others experience this.
Sadarahu

moe

Post by moe » Sat May 07, 2022 7:32 pm

I can only agree, this is the most annoying behaviour and it is carried over version by version. How hard can it be to solve this?
Also believe it got kind of worse with the introduction of mpe Midi, in Serum for example it occurs mostly when mpe is enabled.
Deactivating Serum's MPE Mode with every preset I load is just tedious.
Mac Pro 5.1
UAD Apollo16
Push 1
Push 2

Tito D

Post by Tito D » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:34 pm

One workaround is to freeze the track that leaves sustained notes hanging.

abform

Post by abform » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:47 pm

Hi all,

Today I tested the "press STOP button two times" method.

I have a group track that has about 20 tracks in it. Using automation, each track is active for about 10 seconds at a time, then the next track becomes active. At any one time 19 tracks are inactive and one track is active. I started the group track and played notes rapidly on my controller. After about 45 seconds, for 3 of the tracks (all 3 were inactive), the meter in the mixer controls showed that notes were still in memory. When one of those tracks was active again (because it was their turn to be active), it played a sound all by itself (the lingering note stuck in memory). Pressing the STOP button two times simply stopped playback as expected. When I played the group track again, the meters for the tracks show the notes still there.

Here's the real odd thing. The third of the 3 tracks with a lingering note in its memory hadn't even been played yet! It somehow received the contents of the memory from another track.

So this is two problems in one. First, the note lingers in memory when the problem happens. Second, a different track points to the memory that the lingering note is in.

Ray

rtmg

Post by rtmg » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:54 am

its 2023, any word from ableton regarding this problem. i have the same problem

rtmg

Post by rtmg » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:58 am

may i know if this problem is experience by both Mac and windows user? i am using windows 11, 16GB ram. any Mac user here having the same issue?