What is wrong with this recording and can I fix it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nerdflanders

What is wrong with this recording and can I fix it?

Post by Nerdflanders » Fri May 07, 2021 6:46 am

I recorded this on Ableton live 9.
The basses seem to thump, then cut off when they get too loud.

It sounds ok through headphones but you can hear it when I play through a speaker.
I don't know how to attach a file to this forum comment but check out the link here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Capdj2j1sHk

dsu

Re: What is wrong with this recording and can I fix it?

Post by dsu » Fri May 07, 2021 7:53 pm

I listen on headphones SonyMDR-7506 and Adam A7 speakers in a reasonably we treated room. I didn't hear the bass cutting out that you are mentioned. Not very helpful comment I realize.

Nerdflanders

Post by Nerdflanders » Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Now that we are talking, what do you think about time sharing? Hahaha just kidding.

Is there such a thing as volume equalisation?
I’m a total noob to this.

dsu

Post by dsu » Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 pm

Time sharing...... took me a second. Brilliant! You ever been to Mau?. Its all about the time sharing.

Volume equalization. An interesting combination of words but I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Equalization usually means adjusting the "volume" of a sound in specific frequency regions. In Live there is EQ 8 which has 8 filters where you can set the frequency and boast or cut for each filter independently.

Another method of volume equalization is compression. Compression is where the loud moments in a audio track are made less loud which means one can make the whole track louder and the quiet bits then become more audible.

Neither of these explanations will get you a good mark in engineering school but I hope they suggest the value in taking the time to understand some of audio engineering principles. There are so many excellent tutorials on YouTube that I can't suggest a particular one. Try googling Live EQ-8 and Live Compressor. That should get you a good start on understanding "volume equalization".