Independent grid focus boxes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
orbita

Independent grid focus boxes

Post by orbita » Sat May 15, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi, I'm using Push, APC40 and Maschine Jam as controllers for Ableton.

All 3 have coloured grid boxes showing. The Push one moves independently when I use the D pad on the Push

The APC40 and the Maschine Jam have separate colour boxes but they move together. If I use the either device D pads, the other moves too.

Is there a way to prevent this? I want them to maintain separate channel focuses.

Thanks!

jestermgee

Re: Independent grid focus boxes

Post by jestermgee » Sat May 15, 2021 11:05 pm

I believe it comes down to how the manufacturer has programmed it in the control surface script.

Usually for the majority of people, they want their controllers to follow what they do in the session so they sync to follow.

I think the only way to change this is to modify the script which isn't that simple as they are compiled and not editable so you need to obtain the uncompiled version from around the webs, learn some Python and Ableton API and then reverse engineer the code to find where it follows the session and make it independent of position I guess. At that higher level I am sure it is possible but as far as I understand, at the plebe user level you are stuck with how it was designed to work.

orbita

Post by orbita » Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 pm

Thank, yeah maybe that is the case. It's interesting though that they don't follow what the Push does which made me wonder whether there was some option somewhere to link them.

I do know some python so I might be able to decode it - I did actually make some small APC customisations once before although for some reason that ones not loading now.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat May 15, 2021 11:20 pm

It is possibly (and this is all educated guessing on my part as I do not 100% know, just figure...) that because Push is more than just a session or mixer controller like APC/Jam that it is coded to not follow other controllers for the reason you want.... so it can be set to a place in your set independent of other controllers. I also know that if you use an APC and a Launchpad these will also be completely separate in the grid.

My guess is that Jam is following the APC possibly "in theory" so the channel faders will match what you see in your clips... Could also just be the lazy way NI programmed the script for Live integration like how they cripple Maschine from being useful in Live for more than the absolute basics.