Weird problem: drag/drop sample into Drum Rack auto-transposes +9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patw

Weird problem: drag/drop sample into Drum Rack auto-transposes +9

Post by Patw » Sun May 16, 2021 5:56 am

This is a bizarre problem I've had for years, but usually doesn't take up much of my time to fix it so I never bothered to find a fix.

I am wondering if anybody else finds that, when they drag and drop a sample into the Drum Rack, the sample is instantly already transposed up 9 semitones? Do you know why it does this, or if it can be undone (aside from turning the transpose knob back down to 0)? It's very weird and specific; I have googled this but it looks like I might be the only one who has this.

I use Mac, and have had this problem with Live 9. I recently installed Live 11 and assumed I wouldn't have this problem anymore, but alas, the exact same thing happens in Live 11 as well!

malenko

Re: Weird problem: drag/drop sample into Drum Rack auto-transposes +9

Post by malenko » Sun May 16, 2021 8:29 am

I'm not at my computer right now but I would hazard a guess that it is this.
If you load up a new instance of simpler to an empty track, does that have the transpose up by 9? If so, then it has been saved like this by default.
Set it back to 0 and right click the simpler header and select save as default. This should then load up any new simpler within a new drum rack with transpose set to 0.

Patw

Post by Patw » Mon May 17, 2021 6:56 am

I have just tried your suggestion; it appears that the bizarre +9 semitones only happens in Drum Rack - not Simpler, or Sampler.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon May 17, 2021 9:47 am

go to:
user library/defaults/dropping samples/on drum rack
and either remove the simpler or drop in a new custom one