Cryptic sample rate problem in Live Lite 10.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Onucitra

Cryptic sample rate problem in Live Lite 10.

Post by Onucitra » Sun May 16, 2021 2:44 pm

I'm currently using Live 10 Lite that comes with MOTU m2 and I have some really weird problem that I believe to be sample rate related. When I'm recording electric guitar there's no crackling. On playback it crackles all over the place. The weird thing is that sometimes when I play a clip from the beginning it crackles and when I start it in the middle it doesn't. This is also true for rendering, render it from the start - crackling, from the middle - crackling may disappear. Sometimes I have a perfectly fine guitar track and after splitting it somewhere it starts crackling.
At first I thought it may be a hardware issue so I've tried two interfaces (Focusrite Scarlett, Motu M2), three different guitars, brand new cables, two different Asus laptops (win10) and one stationary PC (win7). Tried different buffer size, didn't help. Tried setting sample/bit rate in windows settings to match the hardware/Live settings, didn't help. Tried different electrical outlets, new plug strips, didn't help. I've just installed Live 11 trial and the problem is still present.

https://vocaroo.com/1fa6rbwyAOdB - a clip rendered from the beginning, total cracklefest
https://vocaroo.com/15GUYEM7vUXc - same clip rendered from somewhere in the middle, sounds fine

It gets even weirder, if record a guitar in 44.1k and there's crackling, I set in/out to 48k and the crackling stops. It also works in reverse - record in 48k and go back to 44.1k - no crackling (until I start to split the clips, then it may start to crackle). So what I've been doing now is basically recording in 44.1k, editing clips, setting in/out to 48k and downsampling to 44.1k on render. Modern problems require modern solutions.

I've downloaded Reaper and for now I have no crackling when recording in it, I don't want to learn a different DAW though. Any ideas how to fix this?

Tarekith

Re: Cryptic sample rate problem in Live Lite 10.

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 16, 2021 3:53 pm

Very strange, never heard of this before. Are you using the latest drivers for the MOTU?

Onucitra

Re: Cryptic sample rate problem in Live Lite 10.

Post by Onucitra » Sun May 16, 2021 4:12 pm

Yes, I've reinstalled them right now just in case and the problem is still there. I've also tried powering everything from laptop's battery.