No Midi Signals from Alesis Q25?

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
IgnatzM

No Midi Signals from Alesis Q25?

Post by IgnatzM » Sun May 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Hey

I am brand new to using any kind of MIDI controller or DAW so please bear with me. I recently purchased the Alesis Q25 MIDI controller because a friend recommended it as a good starter, and because it came with Ableton Live 10 Lite. I am using Windows 7, and my laptop meets Live 10's requirements, though I did have some trouble installing - it seemed to install fine after I cleared some room for it though. But now it's not detecting any MIDI signals from my controller? I know it will not make sounds unless I use the instruments that come with Live on a MIDI track, but I can't even get the signals for a track and I'm not sure what else to try. I definitely have Track and Remote for the Q25 switched on in my preferences, and I know there's no problem with the controller because I can use it just fine in Melodics (a very basic keys tutorial that comes with it). Does anybody know what I should do/try? Very happy to provide further details if that is required. Thanks x

AndreasKayias

Re: No Midi Signals from Alesis Q25?

Post by AndreasKayias » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:13 pm

Hello,

I just bought the same keyboard and i think i have the exact same problem with you.
The keyboard works outside of ableton fine, and i checked the setting many times.
But in ableton there is an issue sending midi to tracks.
Did you find a solution for it?

Thank you!

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:32 pm

In Windows, another app besides Live (like Melodics) can take over the MIDI controller and prevent Live from accessing it. Close all other apps that use MIDI (even web browser) before opening Live.
♥♥♥

AndreasKayias

Post by AndreasKayias » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:24 am

pottering wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:32 pm
In Windows, another app besides Live (like Melodics) can take over the MIDI controller and prevent Live from accessing it. Close all other apps that use MIDI (even web browser) before opening Live.
Thank you for that.
Based on your recommendation i unplugged my mixer and it worked with my monitor's speakers.
I noticed that even using the qwerty keyboard for keys didn't work before, but now it does.
My mixer is a DJM 250 MK2 that i use as a soundcard, that is also a midi device.
So i don't know if it's because of the soundcard or its midi.
The issue was only in Ableton. Because Fl Studio, Melodics, standalone VST work fine.

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:58 pm

It is not Live in the case I mentioned, it is a limitation of Windows, Windows MIDI drivers and ASIO drivers (plus user error, it works fine if user closes the other apps that use MIDI and ASIO).
♥♥♥