Audio distortion problem on all tracks when using USB mic

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jaxondl

Audio distortion problem on all tracks when using USB mic

Post by jaxondl » Thu May 27, 2021 7:32 am

Hello,

I'm having a bizarre issue with a new USB mic I purchased, the Tonor Q9. When I open up Live with the mic plugged in, I have no issues for about 5 or 10 minutes, but then crackling/distortion starts to occur on all tracks, not just the mic's input.

I'm using Live 11 on Windows 10 on a Lenovo ThinkPad, with ASIO4ALL as my audio device. Everything is updated to the most current version. I don't believe my computer has a different ASIO option, and using my audio interface's ASIO (Zoom L-12) directly prevents me from using the USB mic. I've tried a number of solutions: using a different USB cable, varying my output device (either to the headphone jack or to my audio interface, Zoom L-12, as output only), upgrading ASIO4ALL (from v2.14 to v.2.15 beta), and increasing the ASIO buffer size all the way to the max of 2048. None of these solutions work, but any time I mess with the ASIO4ALL settings the distortion disappears for another 5 or 10 minutes before returning.

What makes this so puzzling is the fact that the issue only occurs with the mic plugged in, even if it isn't even armed or recording, and the distortion affects all tracks, not just the mic's track or input. Since varying the output device doesn't change the problem, it seems that I've narrowed down the issue to how the mic and ASIO4ALL interact.

Does anyone know a solution for this or what my problem might be? Could the mic possibly be defective, or is this likely a software issue? Thanks! :D