Bug in grouped tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aklisiewicz

Bug in grouped tracks

Post by aklisiewicz » Thu May 27, 2021 10:13 pm

LIVE v11/Win10/Pro

I added some FX to the group rack. This group has some tracks in it, so the FX from the group track affected all tracks in the group. I then removed that effect, but the subsequent tracks still played as the FX was still there. I had to UNGROUP them completely to get this FX sound off. This already happened to me several times on a different project, so it seems that what I described is a pattern to reproduce it (although I'm not 100% sure which effects I used). I recall Valhalla Delay, Compressor etc.

To make things worse I noticed that in some cases the track has no click at the particular playhead location, but it plays sound and the sound seems to be coming either from another track or from the clip which has been removed from that location. Generally very wired behavior and not easy to track but I think finally I got the pattern, when this happens.
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Bug in grouped tracks

Post by [jur] » Fri May 28, 2021 6:32 am

I don't see what's your pattern to reproduce. You know that you have to ungroup when this happens, but not how to trigger the bug, or did I miss something?
Next time you experience this, before ungrouping your tracks, click the "get support" option in the Help menu. This will generate a log file and shows you the link to find it on your computer.
Attach this file to an email explaining what's happening and send it to support@ableton.com
thx
Ableton Forum Moderator

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:03 am

[jur] wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:32 am
Next time you experience this, before ungrouping your tracks, click the "get support" option in the Help menu. This will generate a log file and shows you the link to find it on your computer.
Attach this file to an email explaining what's happening and send it to support@ableton.com
thx
I do not know if you are from ABLETON (or not) but uploading the REPORT has been an issue forever. The report file would not fit into any Email and I am not interested in creating DropBox account or alike to forward this to Ableton. Before posting suggestion like this it would be worth to test what work. Most of my report files are around 30 Ms or so, and upload to Ableton site does not work (I reported this problem numerous time and instead of fixing it I just received suggestions to use GDRIVE or alike which I would not use because I am cutting off all cloud services).

Yes the problem does not happen all the time so I am working on getting more information about the pattern. On the other hand (yes I can create a report) but I cannot wait for Ableton to respond and leave the project with the problem until they react.
Sadarahu

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:59 am

Do you really think I'm paid to give bullshit advise :?: :idea:
C'mon, I think I'm actually quite patient when I still try to help you, seeing how you take answers most of the time.
There's definitely something not good happening if your status packs are 30mb, but don't blame others because you don't know how to send a "too big" file. Tip: you don't need any dropbox or to set any account to any service; a simple google search is enough.
Ableton Forum Moderator

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:21 am

It is not that I do not know how to send big files. It is the fact that I will not use cloud services. It would take me just 1-2 hours to setup simple FTP sever allowing to upload files. Ableton is not able to do this then they can set up FTP server at any internet provider. It is super simple and would resolve all upload issues. Yes I was wrong about the files size, it is smaller but still to big for an Email.

Yes I still experience wired issues (not the same every time) with grouped tracks, although this happens randomly and I see no pattern, so I cannot have precise steps to reproduce it. At this moment the only workaround for this is to Ungroup and Group again (so at least some solution).
Sadarahu

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:32 am

I just have had another glitch in grouped tracks. I added one MIDI track, then 10 audio tracks. Grouped all 11. Then I deleted all AUDIO tracks but I could not delete the MIDI track. DEL key simply did not work. I then had to go and DELETE Group track along with the midi track.
There is definitely something wrong with Groups...
Sadarahu

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 am

aklisiewicz wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:32 am
I just have had another glitch in grouped tracks. I added one MIDI track, then 10 audio tracks. Grouped all 11. Then I deleted all AUDIO tracks but I could not delete the MIDI track. DEL key simply did not work. I then had to go and DELETE Group track along with the midi track.
There is definitely something wrong with Groups...
by design you can't delete the last track inside a group track, you either need to delete the whole group or ungroup and then delete the track. i presume that this is because you can't have a group track that doesn't contain anything, which makes perfect sense to me.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:28 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 am
which makes perfect sense to me.
Makes perfect sense to most people but some hit their thumb with a hammer and will always blame the hammer... every time.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:56 am

jestermgee wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:28 am
fishmonkey wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 am
which makes perfect sense to me.
Makes perfect sense to most people but some hit their thumb with a hammer and will always blame the hammer... every time.
I watched a documentary about flowers' sexuality yesterday. Some Orchids imitates the female bee's shape and odour so the male bees try to grab her and so on... It was funning thinking that the male bees always get fooled many times a day, and it's probably like this for a few hundred thousand years, at least.
Ableton Forum Moderator