Any ENTTEC EMU users here?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Diplomat

Any ENTTEC EMU users here?

Post by Diplomat » Mon May 31, 2021 12:04 am

Hi guys,

Anyone here using EMU?

I have a school theatre production coming up shortly and I know users have successfully used ENTTEC DMXIS with Ableton to control lighting and sound effects. I contacted ENTTEC and they recommended I use EMU so I have done that.

I wish to get Ableton to send midi program change messages to control lighting scenes in EMU but I haven't had any success yet. I am using the trial version of Ableton 11, I have the midi yoke recommended by ENTTEC to use with EMU. I have set the midi clips up to transmit program change messages but I am not sure how EMU receives these. I have trawled through YouTube looking for vids on this, posted on the ENTTEC forum but responses are scarce.

I have no experience with DMXIS.

I'd love some assistance,

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

masleo

Re: Any ENTTEC EMU users here?

Post by masleo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:56 am

Hi Andrew,

I realize this is a late response, but I'm going through the same thing. Dmxis is no longer sold new and Emu is what is coming with the Enttec box, though Emu is still in Beta. One way I have been able to get ableton to work with emu and the enttec dmx usb pro is not through sending midi notes out but rather by automation in ableton. You'll have to enlarge it, and watch several times, but this video came from an Emu support message and shows how to connect Emu and Ableton which both have to be running at the same time

Here is the Emu thread

https://www.emulighting.com/thread-118.html

Here is the video:
https://mega.nz/file/bKwBhYiR#KpQBiNeSw ... lWQCCSdPFg

thomhu

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:12 pm

We've used DMXIS for a few years but when I heard about EMU, I downloaded the trial but after a few evenings I couldn't really get it to work. The only YT videos I could find were by Learn Stage Lighting but he didn't seem to be a big fan, and the forum just seemed to be people saying they couldn't get answer/support from ENTTEC. If you can find a DMXIS box on eBay then I'd get it, or a generic MIDI to DMX converter may work, or the full release of EMU is supposed to be this year so maybe they'll iron out the Beta bugs. DMXIS is so solid, I'm not sure why they've stopped making the boxes.

masleo

Post by masleo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:27 am

I had the same experience with Emu but I found that there is one function that does indeed seem to work reliably - the fader connection to the Emu VST in Ableton. It's a little bit of work to draw 5 automation lanes (RGBAW) , but I kinda like being able to do whatever you want with color changes, color mixing, and dimming. It works for me because that's all I am trying to do with my 2 par tiny setup.

That part described above has been working reliably in EMU and Ableton, but the other emu features (at this point) - not so much. I'm guessing it's still getting the kinks worked out while in Beta.

Is there a better app that is currently supported that would work with a PC , Ableton 10 and Enttec dmx usb pro for running lights with backing tracks? I tried qlc+ but fade ins and outs were not working too well.

-Thomhu