I was thinking of getting a Launch XL from Novation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
waveformz

I was thinking of getting a Launch XL from Novation

Post by waveformz » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:19 pm

As I mentioned in the title Novation's Launch XL is a controller for Ableton (or possibly) any other DAW I guess. But I was wondering if it shines well with the instruments and plug-ins? For instance if it has 3 rows of 8 knobs (24 total) can I actually assign these encoders to multiple parameters on the Plug-In interface?

Can I finally break free of the 8 knob limitation? I think I know the answer but thought I'd ask. If so, are there better selections out their on the market then novation like Akai Midi Mix?

Thanks!!!

gross9978

Re: I was thinking of getting a Launch XL from Novation

Post by gross9978 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 pm

Check out “remotify” it’s an app that lets you easily write scripts for any controller and Ableton. You’d be able to control as many parameters as you want with it. On the hardware side of things check out a midifighter twister it’s great by itself and combined with remotify.

waveformz

Post by waveformz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:36 am

Thanks for the heads up on tools. I've never heard of either before. I'm was just checking out and looking into the midifighter twister. Seems pretty cool and leaves a very small footprint too. The scripting app "remotify" I'll look into too.

Thanks Cheers!

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:00 am

Check out ClyphX Pro too. I use it with my Launch XL and it works great. You can assign the knobs, faders and buttons to pretty much anything, and set up multiple modes that you can switch between. Works with any midi controller.

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:18 am

OP, you can assign any knob to any parameter you want that is midi assignable. This functionality is there out of the box. There's no "8 knob limitation" if I understand what you mean, any knob can be assigned to any control. Enjoy!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:10 am

@waveforms if you mean the blue hand automapping for the current device in focus then our LaunchControl XXL script does exactly that adding it to User 6 mode...

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/launchcontrol-xxl/

Cheers
D