Integrating Multiple Hardware Parameters to Custom Instrument Devices

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yodz

Integrating Multiple Hardware Parameters to Custom Instrument Devices

Post by yodz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:34 pm

Gooday Everyone,

I have several analog drum computers (MFB tanzbar lite, tanzbar, and tanzbar 2) that I am trying to integrate with Ableton.

My idea is to replicate or duplicate control parameters from my hardware into Ableton and then back out to an external midi controller and have the external midi controller automatically update it's function as I choose different tracks that correlate with my different hardware.

Lets say I have 1 midi track for 1 piece of hardware. Is it possible to make some kind of custom instrument with parameters that would control CC values of the hardware (say the Decay knob on one of my drum computers) and then map those parameters to a midi controller? I have attached an image mapping out the flow for easy visualization.

In the diagram, I have a midi effect for pitch added to the track BUT what I want is to create my own "module" for my own custom knob and assign that to a CC out to my specific hardware.

https://imgur.com/a/YEtamRK

The bigger picture here is that, I want all parameters centralized and controllable via ableton.

So, If i select the Midi Track for one of my hardware drum computers, then all the knobs on my external midi controller will be synced and mapped to that piece of hardware. And if I select the NEXT midi track for another hardware drum computer, then the knobs on my external midi controller will automatically sync with the parameters for THAT track/ hardware.

How would I begin to do something like this? Is this where M4L comes into play?

Would greatly appreciate any leads or assistance.

Very excited about this kind of centralized integration for several pieces of hardware.

Thanks so much.