What's eating my CPU ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aklisiewicz

What's eating my CPU ?

Post by aklisiewicz » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:53 am

Simple obvious question. 3 tracks, no VST, no audio.
PROCESSOR USE: 2%

https://ibb.co/74G9pcg

What is wrong with Live. Never had those problems before.
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

schlam

Re: What's eating my CPU ?

Post by schlam » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:57 am

Ahahah...2%.
I hope you are happy ;)
I really would like to have 2% even when every thing is idle !

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:34 am

aklisiewicz wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:53 am
Simple obvious question. 3 tracks, no VST, no audio.
PROCESSOR USE: 2%

https://ibb.co/74G9pcg

What is wrong with Live. Never had those problems before.
Ableton.

Usually though increasing your buffer size can get it lower.

I wouldn't worry much about 2% though.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 pm

2% ! Dude! :D
Ableton Forum Moderator

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:55 am

Yeah this is a weird post to me. Live is the OG uninterrupted audio engine, basically it polls all possible changes all the time, I can't ever remember less than 1% CPU usage, which I always chalked up to this nature?

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:03 am

I would not be surprised I get 2% if I have some VST loaded (as some of them run in the background waiting /scanning for changes), but wait ! I have no VST, no AUDIO. Nothing absolutely nothing is loaded into program, so I think it should be below 1%, unless LIVE shows general usage of the entire PC (meaning all other processes running). If this is the case then it is wrong , or at least not what I would like to see. I can check OS processes vs CPU in my Windows settings (CTRL-ALT-DEL). PC is set for Max performance and I remember with Live10 this exactly same scenario was showing less than 1%.
Yes at this moment this is not a super big deal but %%% adds up very fast and I want to know what is hooging the CPU if nothing is loaded.
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:59 am

aklisiewicz wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:03 am
I would not be surprised I get 2% if I have some VST loaded (as some of them run in the background waiting /scanning for changes), but wait ! I have no VST, no AUDIO. Nothing absolutely nothing is loaded into program, so I think it should be below 1%, unless LIVE shows general usage of the entire PC (meaning all other processes running). If this is the case then it is wrong , or at least not what I would like to see. I can check OS processes vs CPU in my Windows settings (CTRL-ALT-DEL). PC is set for Max performance and I remember with Live10 this exactly same scenario was showing less than 1%.
Yes at this moment this is not a super big deal but %%% adds up very fast and I want to know what is hooging the CPU if nothing is loaded.
Again, Live takes a little CPU just to run, but there are tons of caveats with Live's CPU meter.
Relying 100% on it to see what you have left is only IMO really worth it with 4 core or less machines.
I have a 12 core, and Live reads 10% CPU right now with nothing in there, but that's not accurate, it's because I was messing with Amplitube and deleted the plug in, Live still grabs some CPU in case I want to bring it back online. Live can balance CPU for sure. In Live performance tests the age of my processors makes it look bad, until you do loading to failure. Then Live will seemingly stay at around 70-85% for a very long time.

I'm on Mac, but the equivalent OS level meter of CPU, disk use, RAM etc. is Task Manager. You will see a big difference in what Windows thinks Live is using and what Live says. Mostly trust the actual performance, and realize that Live does sacrifice some CPU to smooth operation. If you've ever used other DAWs you will notice much more chances for hiccups in the audio when you stress the CPU, Live goes the other way, it's a bit stressfull on the CPU right away, but doesn't interrupt playback.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Save your breath mate, he never listens