Getting BlueArp to work in Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rickrokkett

Getting BlueArp to work in Ableton

Post by rickrokkett » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:38 am

Hi. I'm new to Ableton live and unsuccessfully trying to get BlueArp to work. I loaded BlueArp into the instrument rack along with Novation Bass Station, but the MIDI signal seems to go through BlueArp without any effect. as far as I understand it should go consecutively in the chain, but it doesn't seem to work and I can't find where I can select individual input channels for separate plugins like you can do in FL Studio. I'm getting frustrated about how it is illogical and inconvenient because the very same signal chain worked in Reaper right off the bat

Image Image

rickrokkett

Re: Getting BlueArp to work in Ableton

Post by rickrokkett » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:17 pm

thank you! i honestly hoped it's not that stupid, but unfortunately, it is. wasting a separate midi track on routing is ridiculous.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:23 am

It is not stupid or illogical just because you failed to grasp it.
♥♥♥

rickrokkett

Post by rickrokkett » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:32 am

it's stupid af. what i mean is in Reaper you basically put those two plugins in a chain on a single track and it works

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:41 am

Then go use Reaper.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

glyphli

Post by glyphli » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:05 pm

Old thread but I would like to say that it is kinda stupid that there isn't even an option to manually enable midi output on a plugin that live incorrectly thinks is a synth. It completely erases the possibility of being able to use plugins like bluearp in racks and it's just enormously frustrating that you have to deal with silly workarounds like this whenever something buggers up in live that you're not allowed to correct.

Also, I'd like to point out how dumb a response like "go use reaper" is; when there's an issue with a program that someone brings up, you shouldn't get defensive because that gives the devs leeway to not address small UX issues like this that can quickly add up and waste a decent amount of time. The fact that an issue isn't worth entirely switching DAW for doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed.

TL;DR: if someone says that an issue with a program is stupid maybe actually have a conversation about it rather than getting up on your high horse for no reason.

Apologies if this reads confrontationally, it's just really annoying to see responses like this that just dismiss a valid criticism for no reason.

Maximo Asensio

Post by Maximo Asensio » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:10 pm

Hello.

A few days ago I downloaded the latest version (8) of your BlueARP VST plugin.
I installed it and it worked out of the box in my DAW. ABLETON LIVE 11.
I was pleasantly surprised by its versatility.
But when I got to the functionalities of the chain program box, the problem arose.
If we understand BlueARP as an arpeguiator/sequencer, the arpeguiator is ok, but the sequencer just doesn't work, at least in Ableton.
In the latest version, and in the previous 3 (5,6 and 7), which I downloaded and installed.
The digits that appear in the current chain boxes do not correspond to what was initially selected.
So if there is a change to the next chain (if it occurs) these jumps are totally unpredictable, although most of the time they do not occur while staying in the same chain.
Has any other user reported such a malfunction?
Is this a compatibility issue with my software?
Greetings, thank you and congratulations for your work.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:52 am

glyphli wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:05 pm
Old thread but I would like to say that it is kinda stupid that there isn't even an option to manually enable midi output on a plugin that live incorrectly thinks is a synth. It completely erases the possibility of being able to use plugins like bluearp in racks and it's just enormously frustrating that you have to deal with silly workarounds like this whenever something buggers up in live that you're not allowed to correct.

Also, I'd like to point out how dumb a response like "go use reaper" is; when there's an issue with a program that someone brings up, you shouldn't get defensive because that gives the devs leeway to not address small UX issues like this that can quickly add up and waste a decent amount of time. The fact that an issue isn't worth entirely switching DAW for doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed.

TL;DR: if someone says that an issue with a program is stupid maybe actually have a conversation about it rather than getting up on your high horse for no reason.

Apologies if this reads confrontationally, it's just really annoying to see responses like this that just dismiss a valid criticism for no reason.
There are advantages to using Blue Arp outside of as a MIDI plug in, and in general when a DAW like Live or DP11 etc. uses the method of treating the plug in as an instrument rather than an inline MIDI plug in, it really shows up as useful, and better when dealing with instruments like Atlas, Reason Rack, or any other VSTi that can both host instrument sounds and sequences, as well as send MIDI to other plug ins. With Logic and I believe Reaper it's impossible or messy to get the internal sounds to play at the same time as it's an inline MIDI FX plug in. So I would rather be able to say route the Kick from Atlas to Battery 4 without losing the rest of the sequence in Atlas in order to use it as a MIDI FX device. IMO that Blue Arp is on a separate track than the devices it sends MIDI to is an advantage when you're looking at what the routing you want does to other functionality.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:53 am

Maximo Asensio wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:10 pm
Hello.

A few days ago I downloaded the latest version (8) of your BlueARP VST plugin.
I installed it and it worked out of the box in my DAW. ABLETON LIVE 11.
I was pleasantly surprised by its versatility.
But when I got to the functionalities of the chain program box, the problem arose.
If we understand BlueARP as an arpeguiator/sequencer, the arpeguiator is ok, but the sequencer just doesn't work, at least in Ableton.
In the latest version, and in the previous 3 (5,6 and 7), which I downloaded and installed.
The digits that appear in the current chain boxes do not correspond to what was initially selected.
So if there is a change to the next chain (if it occurs) these jumps are totally unpredictable, although most of the time they do not occur while staying in the same chain.
Has any other user reported such a malfunction?
Is this a compatibility issue with my software?
Greetings, thank you and congratulations for your work.
You need to explain your routing if you want help. It's possible it's a routing issue, likely it's a MIDI channel issue.