(newb) custom screen sets for gigs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tekhed

(newb) custom screen sets for gigs?

Post by tekhed » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:42 pm

Hi all

Looked all around but I can't find a way to make Ableton's Session View window display what I want, where I want.

Grew up on Logic so I'm used to being able to have "screen sets" that I can customize. During gigs I use Live for looping audio. I'd like to have my master reverb, delay and Looper plugin windows open / floating (no matter what track I have selected).

i.e. if I want to quickly change a parameter on the delay plugin, I don't have to select my delay Aux then dig for the parameter on the effect; the window would already be open.

Am I making any sense? What am I missing?

Many thanks!

lunabass

Re: (newb) custom screen sets for gigs?

Post by lunabass » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:45 am

When you say plug-in, are you meaning Ableton effects or 3rd party VST or AU?

In preferences, go to the Look Feel tab and turn on Multiple Plugin Windows and turn off Auto-hide plugin windows
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

tekhed

Post by tekhed » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:43 am

Thanks for the reply! FWIW those settings are on the "Plugins" tab, but I found them pretty quickly. They were already set as you suggested.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm referring to Ableton "Audio Effects".

I'd like to have the controls for my main Reverb, Delay and Looper (all native Ableton "audio effects" on auxes 1, 2 & 3) be visible at the same time.

If I use 3rd party plugs (let's say Arturia) I can open up each effect, get the floating GUI on the screen and it'll stay there until I close it. I can see my Reverb, my Delay, my Ableton Looper (as long as that's the track I have selected in Session View), the state of all my aux sends, etc.

But I can't do this with Ableton audio effects. They don't seem to have a "float"or "undock" option. For Once I click away from my Reverb return, perhaps to engage my looper, I can no longer see / interact with my Reverb at all. If I then want to change its state I have to do it by ear via a mapped controller (not ideal in a live setting) or click back yet again to my Reverb Return to make further adjustments.

Or am I still missing something?

Thanks again!

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:56 am

No you’re not missing anything unfortunately, they’re stuck down there.
There is a floating window Max device out there where you can assign anything to a floating window. That might be your best bet.
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

tekhed

Post by tekhed » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:22 pm

Ah.... well, that is a major disappointment, but I'm thankful you gave me the answer so I don't waste any more time down this rabbit hole.

I've known of Max for ages but never had the bandwidth to tackle it. Perhaps it's time.

Or, maybe Ableton's strengths are in areas other than what I'm using it for. I know it's very popular

In any event, thanks again! Moving on!