Wavetable envelope question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Matt_Quinn

Wavetable envelope question

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:54 pm

Is there any way to force Wavetable's envelopes (2 or 3) to *not* retrigger on each note? I was hoping there was an option that would force the envelope to complete its entire cycle even if another note hits it before it finishes. I'd like to assign (for example) envelope 3 to move an oscillator position s-l-o-w-l-y through its entire range while notes continue to come through. Right now, every note retriggers all 3 envelopes. Don't think it is currently possible but wanted to ask. Thanks in advance.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

yur2die4

Re: Wavetable envelope question

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:04 pm

Maybe Legato.

Otherwise, an LFO that is Not set to retrigger is usually my go to for this kind of thing.

A final option is to just have a clip that automates that parameter when you need it to be an envelope. If an envelope is Not retriggering, it’d be kind of hard for it to guess when to start over. If it did not start over, then why would one even expect it to ever be at the start of the envelope rather than the end (with the exception of looped envelopes).

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:05 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:04 pm
Otherwise, an LFO that is Not set to retrigger is usually my go to for this kind of thing.

Yep, I do that as well. That's kind of what got me thinking about why envelopes don't have the same option. Modular synths have gotten me used to being able to use an envelope that I can trigger with any kind of source to modulate a parameter.

yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:04 pm
If an envelope is Not retriggering, it’d be kind of hard for it to guess when to start over.

Well it would just have to ignore incoming note on messages *if* it was in any point of the envelope's cycle. Otherwise, notes should trigger it.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:01 am

Clips can definitely do modulation for you, but you don’t get to ‘control’ the shape of the envelope while it’s playing. Another option might be max for live. There are already some envelope devices in the basic pack if I recall. There might be some nice user made options also.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:38 am

Matt_Quinn wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:54 pm
Is there any way to force Wavetable's envelopes (2 or 3) to *not* retrigger on each note? I was hoping there was an option that would force the envelope to complete its entire cycle even if another note hits it before it finishes. I'd like to assign (for example) envelope 3 to move an oscillator position s-l-o-w-l-y through its entire range while notes continue to come through. Right now, every note retriggers all 3 envelopes. Don't think it is currently possible but wanted to ask. Thanks in advance.
Wavetable envelopes don't retrigger for a held note if you press another note, in Poly mode each voice has its own envelopes that will play independently, and in Mono the envelopes don't retrigger with overlapping notes.

In Poly mode, set Env 2 or 3 with very long release to modulate pitch, set Amp envelope to very long release so you can actually hear the pitch envelope play out, you will hear each note's Env play out independently (put a Spectrum to see if needed), their envelopes don't actually retrigger with other notes (within the # of voices).

That's valid even for the same note (played at different times, of course, otherwise it is hard to tell).
♥♥♥