Automation issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aklisiewicz

Automation issues

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:53 pm

I have Ample China Zheng VST from AMPLE SOUND. Have one track recorded (midi) and while I was recording I was using Sustain pedal. When I look at the track, I can see it automated. The problem is that I was also using Mod-Wheel and not I also want to automate the volume. When the track is playing, it constantly keeps switching between automated channels. Another words the red line one moment shows the sustain and the very next moment it shows expression. When I run the sound and try to record VOLUME automation the same thing happens, so for a moment I see the volume line but then next moment I see 2 other automated lines. This makes recording automations very hard (as I use NOVATION Control Surface-XL).

I do not have at the moment any other track with live recorded automation, so I don't know if this possibly happens for other tracks as well. My question is:

Is there any way to disable this display switching continuously ? Am I doing something wrong ? Is this a bug ? Do others experience similar issues ?
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

jestermgee

Re: Automation issues

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 am

Normal behaviour. Live shows the most recent parameter lane that you are automating for convenience. Not a bug, its by design, no you cannot change this.

Switch your view to automation view and add the automation lanes for each and you will then see ALL of these lanes at the same time.

Your homework
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... envelopes/

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:59 am

jestermgee wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 am
Normal behaviour. Live shows the most recent parameter lane that you are automating for convenience. Not a bug, its by design, no you cannot change this.

Switch your view to automation view and add the automation lanes for each and you will then see ALL of these lanes at the same time.

Your homework
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... envelopes/
You do not seem to understand the issue. I am well familiar with the automation and editing it (at least to what is in the documentation). The problem is that I use Live since v3 and have never seen such behavior. When I look at the track (while it is playing) I select VOLUME (for example) and should be able to see selected automation line until I select something else. Instead of that it keeps flipping into Sustain Pedal (which I used while recording).

I also do not understand why the Sustain automation line shows up on the track despite it was added to the automation sub-track.

Yes I know I can add sub-tracks with those lines but that is not what I am talking about.
If what you say would be true and one would have 30 automation lines and main track would keep showing them while they change, there would be constant flickering. This all makes no sense. I have other tracks and they do not miss-behave. Out of 30_ tracks, I only have one which is freaking up! This track has AMPLE SOUND instrument embedded into KK. Perhaps there is something in this plugin...
I will do more testing, but I was just wondering if anybody else have had this experience
Sadarahu

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:10 am

Your sustain pedal might still be sending a signal when not in use. Try unplugging it to see if the flickering stops.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:12 am

no that's not the case. Even if everything it unplugged and turned off the automation line keeps flipping to sustain. I want to draw some lines with the pencil and the moment it gets to the sustain CC it flips and shows sustain and never goes back to volume (or whatever other parameter was selected).
This happens so far only to AMPLE SOUND China-Zheng library, so I am assuming this plugin might be an issue, although I'm not sure if I have other tracks with recorded sustain pedal (so I might be wrong on that).
Sadarahu