Ableton's Piano Roll?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Freiin

Ableton's Piano Roll?

Post by Freiin » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:04 pm

This question is just for a curiosity purpose.

Do you guys compose entire songs just using piano roll and mouse?

If so, what is the piano roll feature do you really miss in ableton live?

jonljacobi

Re: Ableton's Piano Roll?

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Not generally, but I have on occasion composed variations on melodies using nothing but. I have no feature wishes other than a better representation of a keyboard. Without inset black keys, my mind doesn’t recognize note positions as quickly.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:58 pm

If I was always going compose entire songs just using just piano roll and a mouse I would use FL Studio.
But I wouldn't do that, so I don't.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:18 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:58 pm
If I was always going compose entire songs just using just piano roll and a mouse I would use FL Studio.
But I wouldn't do that, so I don't.
I Collab with another producer who swears by FL Studio. I never understood the big deal on why people prefer that piano Roll over Ableton's. FL seems very clunky workflow wise. It's weird though because the producer is not a huge piano Roll user so his workflow seems alot more cumbersome to me compared to Ableton.

I hardly ever compose entirely in the piano Roll. It seems slower than just playing it out. I haven't found a DAW that make me feel the opposite. I do compose drum tracks though in the piano Roll, and I use it a good bit to edit performances.