Ableton 11 - A more comfortable opening of the project

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomasmark79

Ableton 11 - A more comfortable opening of the project

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:36 am

I would like to ask how you are doing with the speed of the first run of the project.

I noticed a significant increase in Ableton 11's machine performance requirements. Especially on CPU / GPU / SSD.

It is logical that over time, programs become more computationally intensive, but in the latest version of Ableton Live 11, it is relatively extreme. And although I understand that development is unstoppable, I think there must be some trade-offs behind this, for which there should be a choice in setting preferences.

Opening a new empty project is quite nimble.
Open a new project where some basic effects like preset hybrid reverb are preset, and some other effects on the master chain is also still in the norm.

But if I'm opening a 15-tracks project, the opening time will be significantly longer. Of course, depending on the third-party plugins used.

To this extent, the delay is still acceptable and understandable.

But there is one big BUT.

If I open a medium-sized project that has, for example, 15 tracks. I'll wait for the project to open and then show the tracks. These traces are (my subjective naming of this state used) in the latent phase. This latent phase is every as yet untouched trace in the project after the first opening in the project.

The first time you click (gain focus) on such a latent track, another story of waiting and interrupting the workflow continues. Subsequently, it is possible to load and use objects on this track. This way, all the tracks must be clicked (sometimes even more than enough), in which the individual used add-ons, plugins, effects, etc. differ. .

I understand - this is done solely to save RAM. I can't think of another meaning.

I would suggest that the entire project that opens be loaded into RAM, which is a million times faster than my super-fast SSD, which is not a bottleneck in this regard.

What do you think?

I would also like to point out that these are really projects where each track contains, for example, a different tool, etc. Where there is great variability of objects. Conversely, if I use a project where I have 28 tracks and use the same plugin for each, there is no problem with delays.

So what do you think? Would this be worth the proposal? Possibility to load the whole project including tracks, plugins, effects into RAM already at startup?

Write, vote, and possibly submit as a proposal for Beta Center Code!

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by tomasmark79 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
CPU AMD 9 3900X / CHIPSET AMD X570 / 32GB RAM 3200Mhz / GPU Nitro+ SE RX6900XT16GB / SSD 3TB, HDD 4TB / WIN10 20H2
https://music.debianium.com

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Ableton 11 - A more comfortable opening of the project

Post by [jur] » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:39 pm

Feet? I never seen this word used in this context.

You didn't tell what type of content your tracks are using/reading: midi or audio? Or both?
Are your sets running from your internal SSD or from an external drive?

In our tests we couldn't find any relevant differences between L10 and L11, afaik. You shouldn't experience worse performances with L11.
It's probably worth looking on the 3rd party plugins' side. Do you have sets made in L10 that don't use (many) 3rd party plugins to do comparisons?
Ableton Forum Moderator

tomasmark79

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:04 am

I only use the internal NVM SSD. The HDD can't be used, it takes several times longer and that's why I started about three months ago on a brand new Windows with NVM SSD.

As an IT, I have a system tuned to perfection. Everything works, nothing falls.
I just mention how Ableton behaves. And it doesn't matter if it's a Release or a Beta version.

Every time I open a project in progress, I have to wait and gradually click on the individual tracks and wait. This condition always occurs after some time of work on the project.

It is not a critical issue, but it is a delay and it would be worth tackling it.

I mostly use plugins from NI, Arturia, Span, Ozone, and many others, all on the Windows platform.

The feet were a mistake: D It was supposed to be a track of course.
CPU AMD 9 3900X / CHIPSET AMD X570 / 32GB RAM 3200Mhz / GPU Nitro+ SE RX6900XT16GB / SSD 3TB, HDD 4TB / WIN10 20H2

tomasmark79

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am

Still to answer all your questions. The problem I describe here also applies to a MIDI Track that contains an Ableton Native Drum Rack. It also takes quite a long time.
But as I wrote, I understand that some time is needed to load such a complicated track. However, why isn't it loaded when the project opens? Why does the user first have to click on the desired track with the Drum Rack for the first time and be forced to wait for it to load?

I hope you understand what I am describing here.

Thank you

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:45 pm

tomasmark79 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am
It also takes quite a long time.
Please define in a unit of measure

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:31 am

It's about this -> <- long.

tomasmark79

Post by tomasmark79 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:25 am

As ever, but sometimes 5 seconds on an SSD per track.

The truth is that I make extensive use of third-party plugins as well as Max4Live devices such as a MIDI Monitor on each track. It is possible that I load individual tracks more than is usually usual.

In case I have further knowledge in this area, I will write.

Thank you,
Tomas.