Collections don't really work anymore

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nihlo_beats

Collections don't really work anymore

Post by nihlo_beats » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:02 pm

I suddenly run into the problem yesterday that I could no longer add folders to the "Places" tab in Live... Well, they could be added but the contents were not displayed. Also, I suddenly could not edit my Collections anymore. I could neither add nor remove samples/plugins from them. To solve this issues, I have already tried several things, but they were only partially/temporarily successful.

For example I already reset the LIVE Database in the %AppData% folder several times, as well as the Preferences folder inside the Roaming folder. I have also reinstalled LIVE several times and tried to run it as administrator.
In the meantime I managed to add new folders in "Places", but I still can't edit my collections and parts of the collections are not listed anymore. Especially Third Party Samples and Plugins are missing (the Samples don't seem to appear at all, the VSTS are just partially missing).
In the meantime I was able to edit the collections again by running Ableton as administrator", but unfortunately this is no longer the case. It worked just once.
It is also noticeable that the "Places" tab always displays that it is updating. However, even after hours nothing changes considering described problems and the loading circle keeps and keeps spinning.
Has somebody any idea how I could attempt to solve this issue? Anybody experienced the same before?

I'm running the lastest LIVE 11 verison on latest Windows 10 ond my DEll XPS 17 9700.

ark

Re: Collections don't really work anymore

Post by ark » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:10 pm

It is possible that your Windows installation has become damaged. I suggest the following:

1) Check for filesystem damage: Click "This PC", right-click the system drive, select "Properties," then the "Tools" tab, then "Check.

2) Check for system corruption: Launch an elevated command window and run "sfc /scannow"

Then try removing the Live database and rebuilding it again.

nihlo_beats

Post by nihlo_beats » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:40 am

Thanks for your reply, @ark!

The sfc/scannow actually found corrupted files, but unfortunately, after rebuilding the live database it did not fix the problem at all. Collections are completly empty now and I'm as well still not able to add or remove anything from any collection.
Any further advices, anyone? Seems to be an uncomon issue...

LindaStrawn

Post by LindaStrawn » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:39 am

Recently updated to 11.0.5 and had only one Favorite item tagged red. Today I added about 6 drum hits to the Green collection and then it magically stopped working. I can still list the Green items but no matter what I tried, I cannot add anything else. I've tried picking random items and trying to use other colors but there's no response in the Browser. Makes absolutely no sense. I read the manual section multiple times to make sure I understand it and it did work perfectly for a few minutes.....

Airfixx

Post by Airfixx » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:51 pm

[BUMP]

Suffering the same problem.....

I can no longer add to or edit my collections. When I right click the only options that display are "show in finder" or "show in places"....... Even if I go to the source folder, the colour tabs still don't show when I hit right click.

Has there never been a response from Ableton CS about this?

[I'm running Abe V.11.2.7 on Mac OS 12.5]

timojah

Post by timojah » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:26 am

[BUMP]

Just had this issue come up myself. I was organizing things i like into my favorites until i couldn't add or remove anything anymore. Crazy to see people have dealt with this for years and there doesn't seem to be a solution...it's quite the handy feature to not have anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:43 am

timojah wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:26 am
[BUMP]

Just had this issue come up myself. I was organizing things i like into my favorites until i couldn't add or remove anything anymore. Crazy to see people have dealt with this for years and there doesn't seem to be a solution...it's quite the handy feature to not have anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Do you have Live open multiple times?
Close Live and check Task Manager/Activity Monitor if there isn't an instance of Live still running. If there is, kill the process.
Open Live and try again to manage your collections.

timojah

Post by timojah » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:57 am

Rivanni wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:43 am
timojah wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:26 am
[BUMP]

Do you have Live open multiple times?
Close Live and check Task Manager/Activity Monitor if there isn't an instance of Live still running. If there is, kill the process.
Open Live and try again to manage your collections.
It started working for me again right after I posted this...if it comes up again I'll check my task manager, thanks!

bpm.qa

Post by bpm.qa » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:51 am

For any users still affected by this issue, please contact our Support team for further troubleshooting and assistance.