Windows experts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mark Williams

Windows experts

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:51 pm

First time I have come across problem I cannot solve, stuck in continuous reboot windows 10, no obvious hardware or software errors, can get into safe mode all OK. Restart into Windows 10, then at random crashes error message goes too fast cannot read it, tried usual restore point auto repair won't repair either, says unrepairable. Currently doing a new Windows install. If that don't work I'm out ideas apart from shelling out for new computer . Amy suggestions as to cause?

Maybe time to finally switch to apple m1 mini.

UPDATE. Windows will not reset, tried both ways from the cloud, and from local storage, both failed. thinking possible hardware failure, have reseated all componants, all looks good. Stumped.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

jestermgee

Re: Windows experts

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:54 am

Ha, I love when people hit an issue and believe the answer is to simply switch to another product. This is why people learn nothing these days. Mac has it's share of issues, mostly compatibility issues as the OS rolls on and every time and update comes out, or the sun goes down or comes up until 8 years goes past and no new software runs at all and you have to update every license for everything for the next new system you invest in.

Try:
Step 1, disconnect ALL USB hardware
Step 2, enter the BIOS and do a default of the options especially if you have done overclocking
Step 3, If you have reseated everything, try (if you have multiples) remove just 1 of the mem modules
Step 4, if you can get into safe mode install whocrashed and see if it can offer any signs of what caused the last issue.
Step 5, also while in safemode, completely uninstall GPU drivers then reboot and see if things start
Step Z, also in safe mode, check all your services and see what is loading. Disable as many as you can figure are not required for your system to boot and especially any you have no idea what they are that are not Microsoft services

Loads more things to try and can be hard if you do not have some spare parts (such as PSU, GPU, Ram) to swap out to rule out hardware.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:17 am

jestermgee wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:54 am
Ha, I love when people hit an issue and believe the answer is to simply switch to another product. This is why people learn nothing these days. Mac has it's share of issues, mostly compatibility issues as the OS rolls on and every time and update comes out, or the sun goes down or comes up until 8 years goes past and no new software runs at all and you have to update every license for everything for the next new system you invest in.

Try:
Step 2, enter the BIOS and do a default of the options especially if you have done overclocking
Step 3, If you have reseated everything, try (if you have multiples) remove just 1 of the mem modules
Step 4, if you can get into safe mode install whocrashed and see if it can offer any signs of what caused the last issue.
Step 5, also while in safemode, completely uninstall GPU drivers then reboot and see if things start
Step Z, also in safe mode, check all your services and see what is loading. Disable as many as you can figure are not required for your system to boot and especially any you have no idea what they are that are not Microsoft services

Loads more things to try and can be hard if you do not have some spare parts (such as PSU, GPU, Ram) to swap out to rule out hardware.
Thats a rather sanctimonious attitude Jason. I have been building PCs since 1995, so am pretty upto scratch with how everything should work, and I do not overclock.
I stripped PC of everything only things connected are keyboard and mouse, first thing I tried was the RAM, its a very weird problem, as happened with no previous errors of any kind, and this particular PC build has been running for 3 years with no issue. Whilst in safe mode, everything is fine, and I can get system to boot after a restart, however, after a few minutes windows crashes again, the only error I saw briefy was WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, which doesnt help, as basically could be anything, but does lead me to think its a hardware failure of some description, as whocrashed didnt point to software issue, CPU temps are fine @35c, nothing overclocked, SSD diagnostic reported healthy drives, tried 2 different GPU cards. Windows refresh gets to 99% then fails too. Its very strange.

I tried to look at the Windows dumpfile too, but Windows didnt allow me to open, which first made me swaying to a Windows corruption, but with Windows unable to reset and refresh or restore, points towards hardware failure of some description.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:17 am
jestermgee wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:54 am

Try:

Thats a rather sanctimonious attitude Jason. I have been building PCs since 1995, so am pretty upto scratch with how everything should work, and I do not overclock.
I stripped PC of everything only things connected are keyboard and mouse, first thing I tried was the RAM, its a very weird problem, as happened with no previous errors of any kind, and this particular PC build has been running for 3 years with no issue. Whilst in safe mode, everything is fine, and I can get system to boot after a restart, however, after a few minutes windows crashes again, the only error I saw briefy was WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, which doesnt help, as basically could be anything, but does lead me to think its a hardware failure of some description, as whocrashed didnt point to software issue, CPU temps are fine @35c, nothing overclocked, SSD diagnostic reported healthy drives, tried 2 different GPU cards. Windows refresh gets to 99% then fails too. Its very strange.

I tried to look at the Windows dumpfile too, but Windows didnt allow me to open, which first made me swaying to a Windows corruption, but with Windows unable to reset and refresh or restore, points towards hardware failure of some description.
Unfortunately that doesn't make us immune to to some of the quirks of an OS. Macs are not the fix either. I've found most of the repair tools in Windows useless. Motherboard failures are hard to detect. I'm assuming you can get in the BIOS. I have True Image on my machines and constantly play with fire by not using it.

Odd some of the searches for this error assume you can boot into Windows.

my gut instinct is to reinstall Windows with a different drive. I had a failed drive that was good at passing those diagnostic tests.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:43 am

IDK your life's experience in computers man, not all people that build computers know how things work internally, same as not all back yard mechanics that can pull an engine out can actually maintain their cars properly. I am providing details as I would anyone who asks for help and assistance especially when there is that all important "this thing is broken, time to switch to product Y I guess", that's the sign of someone frustrated and people don't always think correctly when frustrated..... Gotta start at the baseline with the basics as always. Also trying to make it relatable to users in future that will google this issue in 2035 (because this forum will still be here then too).

I assumed you may have run through many of these steps as I know you arent a noob, but you must also know with 30+ years of experience that sudden reboots are tricky to track down and often a failure of something. I literally had one in my daughters system for weeks just a month ago, turned out to be GPU related which I was able to confirm by swapping it out with a spare I have (after doing every update, reinstall and basic process already over weeks and still had the same random issue). Symptoms of this issue were freeze all of a sudden just watching YT or playing a basic game, occasionally would not boot at all and would just reboot in a loop but would eventually get on. WhoCrashed reported a nvidia driver was last to talk every time but I had updated/reinstalled these already so that was a clue that it was possibly either GPU or PSU issue. GPU fixed it so far but could still be PSU since tthe replacement is slightly older and prob pulls less watts, the PSU would be 8 years old or more so if it happens again that is the next thing to check out.

Suggestion I did make as this is often the case after a PC has been in service for years and one thing you cannot do with a mac so things like this (are rarer I will admit) but when you have a misbehaving Mac you can do little to DIY yourself and most the tools and processes you would be familiar with over 30 years of computers are mostly out the window.

The suggestion about overclocking was not just about stability of settings either. If you had of replied that you had already disabled OC then that would have suggested to me that you may also have a thermal compound issue on the CPU after years of burning the shit out of it, or even an exhausted PSU but I would never suggest to anyone to start ripping out the heatsink to re-thermal the CPU without good reason.

May seem sanctimonious but I do have a logic (from 25 years of support) when trying to assist with issues and I typically take peoples experience in their own testing with a pinch of salt, I learned decades ago in support that an "expert" is often more of a fool than a new user because they dangerously feel it has to be something more than it is and overlook the basics all the time, there is a good reason one of the very first questions is "have you tried turning it off and on again....", anyone who deals with support will echo that a good 90% of the time it is the most basic of things that has been overlooked that is the issue. In other words, have you considered the simple points and tried swapping out PSU, GPU, Ram modules etc? I would assume you would have some spares somewhere. You have re-seated things but did you also go and flush all the dust and crap at the same time, or did you potentially just reseat the card and pinch the same piece of fluff on the same pin?

I have had this kind of issue several times over the years but struggling to recall the other times where it was not hardware issues as to what the actual cause/fix was but from experience with the symptoms, GPU or PSU is where i'd place my money on as these are the most stressed parts of the system behind the CPU which is usually not the issue as it's an integrated unit.

If possible, get something like Acronis and clone your system OS drive first then get into safe mode and just start uninstalling every driver you can. GPU and all applications that start, get rid of everything then test booting. If you don't have one, try get a cheap GPU from eBay or something so you can test or if you have a friend you can yank a card out for a test. Just to rule a few things out if nothing else.

BTW, I am still no "expert" in anything, but I know enough to be dangerous and also enough to also overlook the basics of problems sometimes.