Recommendations for DJ setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luckykat

Recommendations for DJ setup

Post by luckykat » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:42 pm

I have an Akai APC40 mk2 but produce on a desktop PC.
I didn't want to have to shell out for an expensive Mac so was wondering how I can sync up Ableton Live with my controller to DJ live?
I heard somewhere that you can use an iPad + a sound hub. Looking for most reliable and most cost effective solution. Thanks!

luckykat

Re: Recommendations for DJ setup

Post by luckykat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:34 pm

I guess there are no DJs on here! :cry:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:42 pm

There are, I for one produce music using Live (mostly) but DJ using Serato because Live is great for production and creating a specified "performance set" but it isn't (IMO) good for traditional DJing where you may want to pick some random songs and fiddle with platters etc.

You stated you have an APC but then you ask "how I can sync up Ableton Live with my controller to DJ live?". Are you asking how to set it up with the APC40 or how to set it up with another DJ controller you didn't specify?

Lack of responses is probably attributed to not enough detail on how you work. There are many different ways to "Dj" (or lets say play music to a crowd). Will you be pre-building a set, operating "off-the-cuff" taking requests or playing instruments, sampling, looping, performing....? Lots of ways to play to a crowd and everyone does it differently. Personally I am no performer per-se and I find it difficult to build a complete set for an event so I like to have my lists of go to songs and then freeball it a bit since I also work lights and crowds and such too.

Advice I can offer is only how I approached things and that was to setup what I had, start mucking around and figure out a way to fill a few hours with good music people would enjoy and progressed from there.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am

Ableton Live won't run on an iPad to address your original question. If you're playing out you'll need a laptop to run Live....

Personally I run Live on one computer and then Serato on another so as to avoid any issues with either.

Cheers
D