Novation SL49 mk II still a good deal?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
WilmarBoer

Novation SL49 mk II still a good deal?

Post by WilmarBoer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:56 am

I can get a barely used Novation SL49 mk II for a good price. But now that Automap is obsolete. Is it still a good buy for controlling Ableton?
Off course it still functions as a standalone (not mapping) midicontroller with nice keybed. But does it have any intelligent remote functions for controlling Ableton without using Automap? And is it compatible with Big Sur (OSX 11). Because I see on the Novation site that it needs drivers to install. I want to use it with an iPad too.

Another option is a Novation Launchkey 49 mk II. Good Ableton integration but lesser masterkeyboard functionality/programmability and lesser keyboard action.
----
Making music is my hobby
Corporate photography is my passion: https://www.beeldvoerders.nl/bedrijfsfotografie

yur2die4

Re: Novation SL49 mk II still a good deal?

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:51 pm

Yes and no.

You can still use the Live Control Surface setting and it’ll show you the names and values of parameters you’re controlling. You’ll control volumes or sends depending on which button you press on the far right, or on the endless encoders you’ll control the Selected device in Live (blue hand). Mute/Arm work, and the Transport is in the same row as Arm if you switch to it.

Automap offered a different layer of a similar control, automap kind of gave you more navigation options etc.

Physically, I like the keys. The joystick can be a pain in the ass as it ages. The XY pad is mostly useless. And the ‘drum pads’ aren’t really used much by me, but I can see them being an option for assigning functions or something. It’s still a decent controller. Fun to play.

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:31 pm

I own an MK1, I recently found that novation has discontinued updates for the template editor as well as automap.

I believe that the MK1 and MK2 share the same hardware midi template editor.

Novation has their new "Components" software for handling hardware editing of midi templates across all devices.

You might want to double check if the MK2 is supported or not.

The built in ableton template should still work without automap, but losing the ability to access or create and edit any direct hardware templates is a major deal breaker.

I know that the template editor is not catalina/big sur compatible, but I don't know about current windows OS compatibility.

I even tried using wine bottler to see if I could run the windows version on OSX and it didn't work.

Without the proper template editing and control assignments my ReMote SL MK1 has been reduced to a fondly remembered paperweight.

I'm not sure but I think the MK2 uses the same abandoned template editor.

To novations credit, I emailed them to ask about getting the template editor updated and they actually responded with a clear No, they then offered me a %30 discount on the newer "Components" compatible SL MK3, I didn't buy it because it doesn't really fit my needs, but they came through with some solid customer service over a nearly 15 year old abandoned midi controller.

WilmarBoer

Post by WilmarBoer » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:37 pm

Thanks for your thorough answer! I guess I'll don't go for the SL MKii deal but get a launchkey instead.
----
Making music is my hobby
Corporate photography is my passion: https://www.beeldvoerders.nl/bedrijfsfotografie

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:45 pm

I liked my Mini MKIII, but my big issue is that a couple of the buttons were hard-wired to Live's Session view (record for instance) and I use arrangement view nearly all the time.

WilmarBoer

Post by WilmarBoer » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:41 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:45 pm
I liked my Mini MKIII, but my big issue is that a couple of the buttons were hard-wired to Live's Session view (record for instance) and I use arrangement view nearly all the time.
Thanks! That would be an issue for me too. I'm also mostly in arrangement view. I'm considering the Akai MPK249 now too.
----
Making music is my hobby

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 am

mike_o wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:31 pm
I own an MK1, I recently found that novation has discontinued updates for the template editor as well as automap.
Automap has been dead for years.
As far as the template editor is concerned it's possible to edit the templates directly on the device, but in the other hand that's a terrible sign from Novation.

I love companies that keep their old hardware supported. I recently bought an RME Babyface Pro while on a work assignment because RME have made it entirely possible to both use my 15+ year old Fireface 800 with my old Mac Pro and as an 8 in/out ADAT slave for the Babyface. They even updated their firewire drivers for the FF800 for the M1 macs.

Anyway IMO the SL series from Novation is top notch. I would have no problem getting one again for Live.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 pm

I use both an SL61mk2 and a smaller Launchkeymk3 in my studio
the left-side functionality of the LKey are terrific with the mk3-series - pads are pretty decent for hits - however using the 2-row clip grid is a challenge for me & wouild much prefer the LaunchPad(or a Push) for launching clips in shows
BUT the keybed of the SL is far superior to the plastic-y feeling keys of the LKey-series - massive difference
that's why I'll keep the SL until my final passing(probably keep them both : = )
best of luck
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

WilmarBoer

Post by WilmarBoer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 am

Mister Natural wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 pm
I use both an SL61mk2 and a smaller Launchkeymk3 in my studio
the left-side functionality of the LKey are terrific with the mk3-series - pads are pretty decent for hits - however using the 2-row clip grid is a challenge for me & wouild much prefer the LaunchPad(or a Push) for launching clips in shows
BUT the keybed of the SL is far superior to the plastic-y feeling keys of the LKey-series - massive difference
that's why I'll keep the SL until my final passing(probably keep them both : = )
best of luck
Good information, thanks! Maybe I just buy the SL mkII and velcro a small launchpad on the blank right side.
----
Making music is my hobby