Ableton Live 11 a serious program error has occured

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
coreylewis25

Ableton Live 11 a serious program error has occured

Post by coreylewis25 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:01 pm

Hello,

I am currently my 40/50th day into the trial. I am moving from logic to ableton and I am due to purchase ableton.

However all of a sudden I keep getting this error?, I have tried to install and reinstall like 10 times now and can't get anywhere. I have not installed or done anything differently I just loaded my computer after a couple of days and now it's not working??

I have attached a picture of my ableton folder.

https://ibb.co/DfH3X6f

I would appreciate any help please.

Thanks.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Ableton Live 11 a serious program error has occured

Post by [jur] » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:16 pm

Did you try deactivating AU/VST plugins?
It's done in the Preferences. And if Live can't even open without crashing, temporarily move your VSTs to another location before launching Live.
Ableton Forum Moderator

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:33 am

As Jur suggested, sometimes a plugin can cause issues (especially "flaky" plugins) but if that does not fix the issue, try a "preference wipe" of live:

C:\Users\[YOUR USER]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\[YOUR LIVE VERSION]

Just rename the folder for your live version to make a backup and this will reset the preferences so you can hopefully launch. A tip to save some time for future, if reinstalling an application does not fix the issue you can usually save yourself the time of trying the exact same thing another 9 times, it probably wont change the outcome.

coreylewis25

Post by coreylewis25 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:05 pm

Hello, Thank you both for your replies. I've tried both methods you suggested however, now it won't open just says creating bug report and leaves a zip file in the Ableton folder. My only problem I have is i set tthe vst2 and vst3 folder set up to C;//program files as all my plug ins seem to have scattered through there, so it's quite difficult to move them as all my programmes/software is there.

UPDATE!: I have just got into Ableton, turned off vst2 and vst3 folder and I am STILLLLL getting this error?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:05 am

C;//program files
Not good.

Never a good idea to add the full root location because there are many files that cannot be added and some that could create issues with the scanner. The only reason they would be scattered is because you have not paid the required attention on installation and imply clicked Next > Next.... You need to set a location then remember to install things correctly. I'd recommend cleaning that side up when you can as that will make things difficult.

Ok, with that preference folder renamed/removed, uninstall Live and then reinstall again.

If you have issues from there, support@ableton.com would be the best bet, send the crash log.

But yeah, you really wanna clean up your VST install mess a bit first