Live 5 .mp3 support and "decoding cache"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:13 am

zekrab wrote:
="SplashmasGot a reply from Ableton's Alex on an equivalent thread in the "bugs and tips" section. Apparently if I install Quicktime Ableton will use this to decode the mp3s by default and this problem will go away.

Hope so :D
It's true! I've tested... especially if you want to decode VBR mp3s. Got no problem since then.
These weren't VBRs but hopefully it will still help.

But yeah, still a litte worried about what would happen if I loaded up a large set with 50 or so 6 minute long mp3s live on stage. If the mp3s weren't already decoded in the cache, surely my computer would fall over?!!

Should I convert to wav by hand if I'm playing such a set do you think?

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:20 am

It only happens if you save as self contained.

Well if you want to play a set that wasn´t used some time ago and the cache has been cleared, then better open it at home and let Live decode the whole stuff before you go on stage, then it should be fine.

Don´t know now what happens if you drag a whole set into your current set, even if you opened it already at home.
Check it out.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

drush

Post by drush » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:27 pm

robtronik wrote:
drush wrote:so when it's all said & done, if you have the HD space you're still better off keeping tracks in .wav format. or does Live still create a cache regardless of original format when it Auto-Warps? if that were true keeping .wavs on hand would greatly increase total storage needs.

does the cache get created either way?
why keep .wav or .aiff files when you can store everything as FLAC? Then you get no loss in audio quality and the cache is only used during performance on the files you actually use?

I think FLAC is the best solution, personally.

rob.
i believe you're on a mac - what are you using to convert to FLAC?

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:59 pm

drush wrote:
robtronik wrote:
drush wrote:so when it's all said & done, if you have the HD space you're still better off keeping tracks in .wav format. or does Live still create a cache regardless of original format when it Auto-Warps? if that were true keeping .wavs on hand would greatly increase total storage needs.

does the cache get created either way?
why keep .wav or .aiff files when you can store everything as FLAC? Then you get no loss in audio quality and the cache is only used during performance on the files you actually use?

I think FLAC is the best solution, personally.

rob.
i believe you're on a mac - what are you using to convert to FLAC?
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

I haven't had any issues with this version. Works great.

"xACT stands for X Audio Compression Toolkit. It is a GUI based front end (written in AppleScript Studio) for the unix applications Shorten (3.5.1), shntool (2.0.3), monkey's audio compressor (3.99),flac (1.1.1) and cdda2wav 2.01a32(with paranoia support). It also uses a modified md5sum (modified from 2.1 textutils) and sox (12.17.7). It does the basic commands of these applications and adds a few features to speed up productivity in creation of etree.org standard filesets"

rob.

drush

Post by drush » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:01 pm

thanks!