Simpler Changes Timbre of Instrument

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djkillajewel

Simpler Changes Timbre of Instrument

Post by djkillajewel » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:28 pm

Hello! So I'm currently creating a session for live performance and trying to manage my CPU by creating a Simpler out of a couple of my third-party instrument plugins, but when I actually play them back with Simpler, they really don't sound anything like the original instrument. The further I stray from middle C, the more the timbre changes. I've tried playing around with the warp settings (warp/beats/complex/formants etc...) but nothing seems to work. Wondering if there's something I'm missing or if this is just the best it gets? Thanks for your help :)

Terrorbeat

Re: Simpler Changes Timbre of Instrument

Post by Terrorbeat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:49 pm

Well, you're taking a static, captured in time, single note and trying to stretch it across an entire range, the computer has to compensate for that somehow, whether its warping/stretching/etc. Its never going to sound exactly like your instrument, which unless its sample based, generates its notes from the ground up with its code each time you press a key (and then applies dynamics, key tracking, etc). You would need to sample each note you want to use and map those out in your Simpler setup.

Otherwise you make due with how samplers have always worked. In order to turn a single note into a full range instrument, they stretch, bend, interpolate, or nowadays "warp", to make it work.

djkillajewel

Post by djkillajewel » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:13 pm

Terrorbeat wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:49 pm
Well, you're taking a static, captured in time, single note and trying to stretch it across an entire range, the computer has to compensate for that somehow, whether its warping/stretching/etc. Its never going to sound exactly like your instrument, which unless its sample based, generates its notes from the ground up with its code each time you press a key (and then applies dynamics, key tracking, etc). You would need to sample each note you want to use and map those out in your Simpler setup.

Otherwise you make due with how samplers have always worked. In order to turn a single note into a full range instrument, they stretch, bend, interpolate, or nowadays "warp", to make it work.
Thanks Terrorbeat! That makes sense. I think I found a workaround in the meantime, and it's to simply turn the instrument off when I'm not using it. In a live situation, although this adds an extra step to the process, it does bring the CPU down significantly.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:42 am

I’ve noticed this phenomenon as well. Even with multiple samples being used. It doesn’t happen when I use the same samples in other samplers.