Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 Integration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigmuz7

Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 Integration

Post by bigmuz7 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:56 pm

Kinda at my wits end here running LIve Beta 11 but it isnt just this version Ive had trouble with so I'm guessing its me ?... All NI stuff updated to latest versions, but the controller should be able to work ableton transport, show mixer settings etc.. but I just cannot get it to work, followed all the how to's etc , but knocking my head off a brick wall here ? any ideas folks ?

jestermgee

Re: Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 Integration

Post by jestermgee » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:42 am

First, what OS?

Second, screenshot of your MIDI settings

I assume (as I kind of have to assume) you have the control surface selected and the correct DAW port is selected?

Make sure in the MIDI port section below you do NOT have any of the Remote/Sync/Track options set for the DAW midi port for In or Out. All checkboxes for the DAW port should be unchecked.

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:48 pm

Its windows 10 , everything up to date, and yes it is selcted as the control surface. I've followed NI's procedure carefully , putting the correct files into the folders ableton requires, but no Joy. I did have it working in the past with a previous version of live, so I'm just wondering if its a bug with the beta ?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 pm

Wouldn’t think so but of course you could test with the stable release to rule that out.

Shouldn’t have to download and copy files, they are included with Live. You do have the mk2 drivers selected? Can you post a screenshot of midi settings

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:22 am

jestermgee wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 pm
Wouldn’t think so but of course you could test with the stable release to rule that out.

Shouldn’t have to download and copy files, they are included with Live. You do have the mk2 drivers selected? Can you post a screenshot of midi settings
Midi settings are fine, according to NI's web site theres a couple of files need to be dropped into the ableton folders including a remote script file that allows ableton to recognise the controller as in here
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... dadf1e1404

so I followed all these instructions but ableton doesn't seem to recognise the controller or allow any of the integrated functions as in this download link below

https://www.native-instruments.com/file ... t_0918.pdf

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:58 am

bigmuz7 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:22 am
Midi settings are fine, according to NI's web site theres a couple of files need to be dropped into the ableton folders including a remote script file that allows ableton to recognise the controller as in here
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... dadf1e1404

so I followed all these instructions but ableton doesn't seem to recognise the controller or allow any of the integrated functions as in this download link below

https://www.native-instruments.com/file ... t_0918.pdf
Live 10.1/11 do not need any files copied, they are included with Live. Copying of the remote script is ONLY for Live 9 so if you did that you probably copied over the existing files and they will now be incompatible with the latest Live version. If you follow that link you posted you will see the steps for Live 11 simply state:

-Connect your S-Series MK2 keyboard to your computer.
-Start Live and go to Preferences > Link MIDI.
-Assign a free Control Surface slot to Komplete Kontrol SMK2 by selecting it from the drop-down list.
-Select Komplete Kontrol DAW -1 under Input and Output.

Only Live 9 and 10.0 need files copied.

That may be your first issue.

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:34 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:58 am
-Select Komplete Kontrol DAW -1 under Input and Output.

Only Live 9 and 10.0 need files copied.

That may be your first issue.
Cheers Jester

Hmm .. ok .. Ive no option for Komplete Kontrol DAW, only Komplete Kontrol - 1 , and Komplete Kontrol EXT -1 selectable as input or output ?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:47 pm

Then the daw drivers not functioning. Try uninstall KK and reinstall again.

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:12 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:47 pm
Then the daw drivers not functioning. Try uninstall KK and reinstall again.
Ok Done that , infact removed everything NI, re installed also re installed Ableton 11 Beta, changed the USB port the S61 was using, still nothing, just the basic dumb keybaord .. no DAW option either, just as before .. Komplete drivers appear to be installed ok with that pack option from NI

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:19 pm

Check the running services in task manager. What are the NI services running? I’m guessing one is not running.

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:55 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:19 pm
Check the running services in task manager. What are the NI services running? I’m guessing one is not running.
Yeah they all seem fine, Ive been reading your other input on the subject on the NI forums, so it seems I'm not alone, and a common theme seems to be that i am missing the KK Daw option for selection in Ableton but I havent got to the bottom of why that is despite all the reinstalling ive done. I mean I have basic functionality ok , just not full integration

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Whatever you say or think, it still points to an NI service that your system is stopping from running, usually NI Host Integration service, and Anti Virus malware/Windows Defender are normally the culprits
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:30 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:16 pm
Whatever you say or think, it still points to an NI service that your system is stopping from running, usually NI Host Integration service, and Anti Virus malware/Windows Defender are normally the culprits
Well those services are running and I dont use anti virus, so it can only be windows defender, but as I said I am missing the KK Daw file in Ableton and I dont know why that is ? It must have something to do with the problem .. anyway, Ive submitted a request to NI and see what they come up with

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:56 am

It's not a "DAW File" the Thing you are missing (I assume) is the DAW PORT. This is a dedicated port that communicates with the DAW directly (hence the intelligent name). This port will appear if you have the NI Host Integration service running correctly. If this service is not running then the port will not appear but if it is 100% running then it's an issue I am unaware of.

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 pm

Problem solved... NI got back to me with the following fix.

It seems part of the keyboards integration relies on a Bome virtual port , which if is missing , will not show the DAW option within ableton. This needs to be reinstalled using this SDK here https://www.bome.com/products/bmidi

Then Windows requires the following fix to the .NET framework with this tool
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -available

After which the PC is re booted, and the DAW option appears in Ableton

Aftert selecting this , the S61 now has full transport control including mixer etc. :D

An odd fact here is that during the NI KK instalation, I noticed it installing the Bome driver ?, and at other times, Ive seen folders relating to it in the NI folder structure, and wondered how it related to the use of the keyboard ? .. now we know ! :wink: but it would seem simply re installing alone is not all you have to do as the .NET fix suggests, quite what that means I dont know ... Anyway hope this helps other frustrated users, and thanks for all your help guys.