Transitioning Audio Clips Smoothly

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ccbristo

Transitioning Audio Clips Smoothly

Post by ccbristo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:23 pm

Hello -

I am pretty new to both Ableton and music production, so this is probably a pretty basic question. I have several audio clips (an intro, a verse, and a chorus) that I need to arrange into a single song. I've currently recorded the intro into one track, the verse into another, and the chorus into a third. This has allowed me to keep a note ringing out during the transitions (i.e. when going from the intro into the verse or the verse into the chorus) and then fade it out to emulate the way it would sound if I played the entire piece from end to end in a single clip (i.e. how it would sound live).

I've also tried cross fading the samples so I could keep them in a single track, but nothing I've tried there has gotten me as good of a result as separating each segment into separate tracks. The "separate track" technique hasn't gotten me an especially high quality result, but it's better than what I've gotten via crossfading.

I figure there's got to be a better way, and since I haven't been able to figure it out on my own and I'm hoping some of your more experienced people will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!