Detecting Varying BPM in a Song

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KingKickdrum69

Detecting Varying BPM in a Song

Post by KingKickdrum69 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:44 am

Hey guys,

I want to do a cover of a Song (full production) and to compare my results with the original I want to sync up the track 100% with my cover. The problem is that the tempo is varying within a range of 5 bpm. The track WAS recorded to a click, but the parts have different BPM and Live has trouble getting the tempo right (propably due to the amount of the distortion on the guitars, it's a metal Song). Although the right transients are detected I can't get an accurate result. Is there a possibility to mark the beginning and end of each Part and detect the tempo this way?

schlam

Re: Detecting Varying BPM in a Song

Post by schlam » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Maybe tou can route an output of the track with the variable tempo to an input of your soundcard and enable "follow" on the input...

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 pm

KingKickdrum69 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:44 am
Although the right transients are detected I can't get an accurate result. Is there a possibility to mark the beginning and end of each Part and detect the tempo this way?
One way is Warping those to the "boring" 4/4 grid of a single BPM (100% to the grid, like you would for a techno song meant to sound robotic), then enable Tempo Leader in that Clip.

It will play that Clip as unwarped, with the BPM changes shown as automation in the Master.
♥♥♥

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 pm

I would cut the song into each of it's parts and warp for the specific BPMs in that. Otherwise it's going to be a lot of manual dragging warp markers around to line everything up. Maybe neater looking, but more time consuming IMO.