Map controller per channel, just on active channel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yentzee

Map controller per channel, just on active channel

Post by yentzee » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi,
I was wondering whether there is a way to map midi cc on a per channel basis. So that the controller would just affect the selected channel.
If so is it possible to lets say have a controller mapped to pitch on simpler by default so that every new simpler I open will automatically have that cc mapped?

jestermgee

Re: Map controller per channel, just on active channel

Post by jestermgee » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:20 pm

If you want controls to affect the selected channel you need to be using a control surface or use the User Midi Scripts to make your keyboard into a control surface. This then maps your encoders to the first 8/16/24/32 available parameters for an instrument of effect.

To create an order of what you want mapped you would create an Instrument Rack then map what you want to the macro controls of the rack. When you select a channel, the rack is the first device selected and so the controls are accessible in the order of macros BUT if you then click on any device within the rack, the controls will now switch to that device so it's very flexible.

A dedicated (supported) control surface device like Ableton Push or an MCU (or similar with LCD screen) will show parameter names and status feedback of what you can control.

danielpearce

Post by danielpearce » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:35 am

I think I have a similar problem. I'm looking for a video that will help me assign buttons on my midiplus smart pad to different instruments /sounds.

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:39 am

Thanks for your answer. I think I keep mapping manually then.