Input too hot

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Flange

Input too hot

Post by Flange » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:24 pm

When I move the channel slider down it does not change the input meter in the effect. I don’t understand why. If the signal goes from track channel to effects to master why does the channel volume effect the master channel meter but not the effects?? And how do I alter the input of the effects of it’s too hot? I’m confused about this.
DAW - Ableton 10. System - Windows 10. Interface - Fireface UC

yur2die4

Re: Input too hot

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:11 am

The channel fader is between the effects in the channel and the Master channel. The channel fader is the last parameter in the entire chain before the mix is sent to master.

To reduce the level of the audio Before the effect, you have to adjust that level either within a device before that effect, or add a device before that effect (like Utility) which lets you reduce the level.

This is all only in the realm of ‘Audio Effects’.

Another thing to consider is the Source of the audio. The Source can either be an ‘Instrument’ such as a plug in or drum rack etc. or an ‘Audio Clip’ which you’re playing back (sometimes the audio clip can be loud), or it can be whatever is feeding into your audio interface, like a microphone, guitar, keyboard synth etc. in which case, you’d control the level either via the physical instrument or from the interface, depending on which is quieter or louder etc.

If you let us know what kind of source of audio it is, it’ll narrow down the possibilities and be easier to give advice.