Mixing a 200+ tracks project?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DannyWalkman

Mixing a 200+ tracks project?

Post by DannyWalkman » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:43 pm

I have a huge Ableton project. It's basically a 3 hour live performance set which contains 200+ tracks/channels of my most used synth plugins and external instruments. Everything is grouped into 8 big buses/groups. Inside this project, a certain live scene will have clips from Track #3, #45, #187 and #220. The next live scene might have Track #4, #53, #124 and #198. And as you might expect, I'm having difficulties navigating and mixing these. For live performances I just use the 8 faders from my APC40, which are mapped to control those 8 buses. Works well. But for studio work I need a way to mix/track/record all these 200 channels individually. And doing so using a mouse has been really painful so far.

Any ideas how this job could be made not only easier, but more fun? A script to hide unused tracks per each live scene would be a cool solution, if that existed. I'm also looking at motorized control surfaces, but only a few offer quick scrolling between tracks using the jog wheel. Even that is not very helpful when you need to jump from track #3 to track #192. Do you have any experience of navigating tracks with an MCU Pro, Faderport, SSL UF8 or an Icon QCon Pro G2? Any other possible solutions?

P.S. Here's a short Live Performance I filmed a couple of years ago, which is part of that huge set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bbf4RL3Mso