Starting and Ending Projects all in Ableton procedures

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buckman

Starting and Ending Projects all in Ableton procedures

Post by buckman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 pm

I just wanted to know what your procedures were for starting and ending a project all inside Ableton.

Just to check, once start a new project, with a blank page/template, do you 'collect all and save' on the first 'save' to create a folder, with the component parts for audio files etc?

And as you record audio, chop, delete (which isn't destuctive delete), at the end do you 'collect all and save' and then 'manage project' to clear out, delete all the unused audio straight to the trash?

I use Ableton but in conjunction with other editors, so my audio is trimmed already, but I am thinking of using Ableton start to finish as an audio editor, so before changing my workflow, and dropping other software, I just need to run through the start/end procedures for tidying up projects in folders.

Am i right in thinking that 'manage project' at the end, won't delete the trimmed and cut audio unless its 'consolidated' into a new file?

I am trying to get my head around cleaning up projects, doesn't actually only keep whats on the screen and used in a project, but the 'dead air' and 'tails' of audio/loops will also get kept, even though its not on screen? (if that makes sense)

What are your procedures to working start to finish with recording and editing lots of audio (some unused and not in the project) from start to finish in terms of housekeeping?

I hope this post makes some sense! :)