Copy warp from one audio track to another

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DigitalM

Copy warp from one audio track to another

Post by DigitalM » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:52 pm

I've got stems from a session that I want to load alongside one another in Ableton. The tempo wanders a bit in places and so after some editing one of the tracks (piano) I have the Ableton metronome following the track convincingly telling me that the warp is correct and the barline structures shown mirror what is going on in the audio.

I have another stem which is very sparse. I'd like it to follow exactly the same warp profile (warps, tempo?! sorry my naming of what I'm trying to do may be out as I've only just started using Ableton). I'm not entirely sure how to do this, but bascially, I need to tell Ableton to handle this new stem like it's from the exact same session as the piano - because, erm, it is. I don't want to have to go through and edit the whole again when millisecond by millisecond it should be following the same warp profile as the piano stem.

Does that makes sense? It's like saying "Hey Ableton, this is another stem from the same session, make it follow the piano, using the Piano's warp markers and stuff".

Sorry I couldn't describe it better!

siliconarc

Re: Copy warp from one audio track to another

Post by siliconarc » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:57 am

Take a look at the Leader/Follower section of the manual

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/audio ... d-warping/
9.2.1 Tempo Leader/Follower

All warped clips in the Arrangement View have one further option: They can be defined as tempo leaders by toggling their Leader/Follower switches. Any number of clips can be set as tempo leaders, but only one clip at a time can actually be the tempo leader. This distinction is always granted to the bottom-most, currently playing clip in the Arrangement View.

The clip that is the current tempo leader will play as if warping was off, but with one important difference — the rest of the Live Set will be warped so that it plays in sync with the current tempo leader.

This is achieved by adding tempo automation to the Master track for the duration of the tempo leader clip. You will notice that the Tempo field in Live’s Control Bar becomes disabled in this state; this is because all tempo control is handed over to the tempo leader clip.

When toggling a clip’s Leader/Follower switch, or when deleting a clip that was set as tempo leader, the Master track tempo automation is removed again, restoring the proper tempo to the region. If you wish instead to keep the generated tempo automation to continue working with it, then right-click(PC) / CTRL-click(Mac) on the Control Bar’s Tempo field, and choose the Unfollow Tempo Automation command. All clips will then be set to Follower, but the tempo automation will remain in place.